Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanaclaire_gw

Q. on replacing kitchen (base) cabinets

nanaclaire
12 years ago

I went to Lowes/Home Depot and was told that I could not buy the ready-made kitchen cabinets for a mobile home. I am only going to replace the base cabinets and try to match up them with the wall cabinets with paint ... we had a bad plumbing leak and the base cabinets are warped ...the counter top tilts to the middle. Anyway, any suggestions? I can't make the cabinets myself. I'm the wife of a disabled husband who can't do anything. I would really just like to buy ready-made cabinets.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (14)

• pris
    12 years ago

Why wouldn't you be able to replace them with ready made???
    As long as you can fit a sink unit and however many other cabs in your space there should be no problem. Each type of cabinet is a specific size and they vary depending on whether sink, corner, drawer or other. Just choose the cabinets you need that fits the space you have. Even if the number of cabs fall a little short of what you need, they make spacers to fill in the gaps. Measure your current cabinets individually (or the inside of each space from divider to divider if the outside framing is not clear) and select what you want that comes closest to matching those measurements. Just make sure you level them before screwing into the wall or floor. This is necessary for installing the counter top.

• nanaclaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lowes told me it couldn't be done. But I kinda figured it could be. The present cabinets were handmade with cheap particle board. I will measure the sink area and the whole area to figure out what we need and buy them. Thanks. I actually will be moving the fridge to the other side of the room where there are cabinets so I have workspace next to my stove. And I would like to put a granite top on the cabinets next to the stove. The other counter area can be fake granite. I Want to put our microwave above but not sure how to do that. It's not an over-the-stove microwave ... so need a shelf that would be sturdy enough to put it on, maybe can create that with 2x4's or something. Anyway, my son will do the work. He also has to replace the flooring b/c the plumbing leak made that weak as well.

Thanks again.

• SunnyDJ
    12 years ago

I have a friend who lives in an older double wide and she went to, and I believe it was Lowes, maybe Home Depot, and had them replace the whole kitchen, top and bottom cupboards and they installed them for her.... So, it can be done...I would think you'd probably have to watch with hanging top ones, making sure the walls were sturdy enough but base cabinets, no problem....Sounds like they didn't want the sale.....

• psaltee
    12 years ago

Great Advise deb_pa! We sold our stick built house and bought a mh in a 55+ community and are pleased with our investment. Before we moved in we had the master bath, main bath and kitchen redone, floor to ceiling. New cabinets, floors, tile, plumbing, paint, and assessories. We're touching up right now and looking forward to doing some other projects around the house and will do it ourselves as well. And like you, we do it when we have the money to pay for it. All the work and moving in took its toll however, as my misses had to visit the hosp for back surgery. So she is home enjoying her new digs! We live in the PNW. Where do you call home?

BTW, folks you can do anything you want in your MH. Anything! Remember, measure twice and cut once.
    It'll look great!
    Talk to you all soon. Psaltee

• lakesider_2007
    12 years ago

Been there, done that and you can get them....pick them out and install them yourself, or get a good handyman to do it for you. Lowe's/HD also say you can't replace MH windows with double-hung ---I bought Pella DH from Lowe's and installed...piece of cake. There is nothing inside a MH or Modular that you cannot take out and replace with stock from the two major stores. I've heard that they don't want folks bringing them back, etc. - oh yeah, they always want to send an "Estimator" to your place..if it is stick=built, just plain no on mobiles. So far, I have replaced walls, floors, cabinets, showers...go for it yourself.

• frazierfarm33
    8 years ago

Do anyone knows the size of kitchen sink base cabinets its going in a single wide 16×80???

• cathyyg
    8 years ago

Kitchen sink base cabinets come in more than one size, as in a single sink size versus a double sink size. 36 inches for a double sink base cabinet is pretty standard.

I think that Lowe's, HD and such are unaware of the simple fact that manufactured homes no longer use the odd 20-21 inch deep base cabinets that they used in the long ago past. They use standard 24 inch deep cabinets. And even in an older home that might have the odd sized cabinets there is no reason you can't replace them with the standard size. Just be aware of the needed spaces in corners for doors and drawers to open and the free space needed to open the dishwasher and revrigerator.

• David Hutchens
    8 years ago

The only issue to fitting regular or stick built cabinets in your mobile home is weight. If you are not planning on moving it then thete should be no problem replacing the base cabinets. Upper cabinets arw a different story. The walls are generally only fitted with 2x3 studs and cannot even support regular 5/8 drywall. Let alone the weight of manufactured cabinets.

• David Hutchens
    8 years ago

Menards and other retailers also carry cabinets meant for mobile homes

• tori729
    7 years ago

I need to replace the bottom base of drawers - Rails broken. Any suggestions where I can go. Was told that it was not an option to replacement the one unit.

• cathyyg
    7 years ago

Do you mean the wood support for the drawer slides is broken?

• Krystle Connelly
    4 years ago

That's what's wrong

• Krystle Connelly
    4 years ago

With mine sorry it KEEPS erasing my words

Sponsored