Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! HUD # / Year of mobile home/title question

Posted by gatorgal_2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 07 at 11:15

Hi - I'm currently looking into purchasing an older model double wide mobile home - however, the current owner cannot locate the "title".

To further complicate issues -
he has never lived in it -
he purchased it from a woman - who never lived in it -
and she purchased it from someone else and had it moved to Florida. So I have no idea who the title is registered to.
I told the current owner that I won't purchase this mobile home without a title - he's trying to locate the woman who sold it to him to obtain the title.

My question is - I have the HUD# from the two halves of the mobile home (it is a doublewide - ready to move - covered in plastic). I'm guessing it's probably an 80's model. How can I find out "at least" the year of the home with the HUD# - until he can obtain the true/actual title?

It's a fair price for the home and it's current condition.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! HUD # / Year of mobile home/title question

One of the local movers will be able to locate the VIN numbers. Each of the units has it's own number. In NC, the DMV has the titles on record and with the VIN, can get the information. I do not know about your State.

o
RE: Help! HUD # / Year of mobile home/title question

There should be a Data plate that the Manufacture puts in the home when it is built. It could be in a closet or behind a cabinet door. It is a little smaller then letter size paper and glued up. You have to have a Data plate in the home when it is installed on the property for the county to see in FL. It will tell you wind zones and who built the home. A lot of people think you do not have to have this so they take it down or they have replaced the cabinets so it is no longer there. If this is the case the serial number of the home should be on the frame, hitch end. You could remove skirting and look there if possible. If the home is in Florida you can call the DMV and give them the serial number of the home and they can tell you about the title, if there is a lien holder, etc. Also sometimes the title company, when you purchase a home on land, retires the title. You can find out if this happened by looking at the deed the home is placed on and it will say together with 19 XX mobile home. If that is the case you would have to un retire the title.

Hope this helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here