Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigdoglover2

want to replace flooring in my doublewide-help!

bigdoglover2
14 years ago

hi, my dw mobile home is about 9 years old and i am the 2nd owner and i need to replace the flooring. i have allergies and wanted to rip out the carpet but am really confused about what i can do here. i have 2 dogs so laminate is out, and i don't want to have to put carpet down again. of course my sub floor is osb so that is a problem for lots of flooring options also. what can i do without it costing lots of money? my living room,dining room and kitchen is all open to each other so i wanted to also go over the sheet vinyl in the kitchen and dining area with whatever i put in the living room. i have read lots and lots of the posts here and am thinking that the area down the middle where my dw is joined may cause a problem with most of the flooring if i want to do the whole area in the same flooing.i am leaning towards vinyl planks but it looks like in half of the room i would need to put down a 1/4" plywood subfloor to do that if i chose the novalis peel and stick floors. i think i can go right over the sheet vinyl with that if i use the floor primer. would i be able to go with the konecto planks over the whole floor? if i did, what about where my dw joins together? do i just go over that and not worry about that since it is a floating floor? i am ready to throw my hands up in the air and give up on this but hate to just have more carpet put back down. i sure could use some advice if anyone has any. by the way, this would be a diy project possibly with some help from some relatives.

Comments (7)

• bigdoglover2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

purchased konecto vinyl planks and am picking them up today. i'll let you know how that goes.

• ronbre
    14 years ago

can't wait to hear how it goes..i want to do wood floors here someday when we can afford it and get the help to move all the heavy furniture..we have a LOT of heavy furniture

• bigdoglover2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well, the floor is down and i love it! it took about 2 days to do it with help, and part of a day to put the trim back up. it is awful to cut-thought my sister was really slow in cutting as two of us were laying tiles and she could not keep up, until she handed me one to cut-awful. other than that, easy but go slow. did 600 sq. ft. and it looks very nice. my living room,kitchen,dining area and fromt hall are all open to each other so thats where i tiled. i left the hallway going to the bedrooms carpet and i am one happy camper. it does require constant sweeping now with the dog hair very visible but at least i get it swept up instead of it all in the carpet. priced it online and locally they price matched for me and i got it the next day-it is heavy so you do need help and a pickup truck to transport it. i can't say enough good about it to everyone! the adhesive is very sticky so keep them clean before laying them-but the worst is cutting. it looks terrific!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I'm in about the same boat... mine is about 10 yrs old. a single guy had it and now it's been setting empty for a few yrs. lots of desert dirt to clean out of it first...

do all mfg homes have osb for subfloor? is that what carpet is put over? mine has mostly carpet now. dbf first said it'd all need replaced. then he said it was a good grade of carpet and would be fine if just professionally cleaned. I didn't want carpet really but figured that was easier and cheaper. then about 2 months ago he tells me no, that carpet isn't any good anymore. you'll need to replace all the flooring. ??? I don't know that he's seen it since we both saw it together last (it's his).
    I thought the kit just had plywood on it but he said it's a wood look vinyl. so much dirt etc on it I couldn't tell that. ugh.

I'm planning sheet vinyl in the kit,hall and laundry. (i think - have to go look at it yet).
    was thinking about the novalis in other rooms - maybe. picked up a plank of it last wk. also saw some flat (think indoor/outdoor - or kitchen carpet back when we had that. I loved it). one is nylon and olefin and one is all nylon. like 'em both. was hoping maybe being flat they wouldn't suck in so much dog hair and dust.
    I think they'd be easier to have put down than us trying to diy the novalis. neither of us is wanting to diy the floors. we both have bad knees. I have a bad back also.

most of the yr my dogs (2) spend the majority of their time outside. would be in more in the summer.

so what color did you get? let's see some pics of it!!!

• mobilemama
    13 years ago

my dh just installed ceramic tile over 1/4 inch durarock. He did this in the laundry. kitchen and dining. Hes going to do the baths and replace (UG-LEEE) vanities. He is a contractor and recycled some oak cabinets in the kitchen. he had leftover granite tiles and did the floor and counter in black granite. (How many ppl in 'trailers' have granite floors???) he ripped off the paneling seams, taped and mudded the walls. Now we've been priming and painting. Looks great except that I've got some (oops) primer on the crown molding. Walls in kit/dining/living are 'toasted coconut' and the bedrooms will be 'steel blue'. Photos will be forthcoming once we move in and get settled.
    sue

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

sue - will be looking forward to seeing it!

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors