Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
manufactured homes

Posted by fred1945 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 21:55

i have owned a 1976 northlander 60ftx12ft home here in toronto canada for 6 years now. replaced all my windows and rebuilt my bathroom 4 years ago, best investement i made. cut my heating bills by one tank of oil per season. and any body that knows canada we get pretty cool in our winters.my problem is heating , most of my heat goes out through the walls(only 2x3 studs with little insulation)and the roof. does any body know a way i can save more heat without a large output of money(now retired) any sugestion will be concidered.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: manufactured homes

I can't think of anything that doesn't require a sizable cash outlay.

Putting a steel or aluminum roof, pitched for your snow load, on top of your existing roof would probably be the single best thing you could do, especially is you use 2x12s as the trusses so you can get some R 30 or so between the trusses. Again, not a cheap option.

You can do the same with your walls. Add studs on the outside, insulate, and put on siding.

Other than that, be sure you have evergreen trees planted to block the wind in the winter - where I live it would be the north and west sides of the house. Not too close, but close enough to protect your home.

o

thanks for the info, the roof was completly reroofed when i took owner ship, part of the deal(garanteed 15 years).i have aluminum siding and realy dont want to give it up, its in great shape.i guess i could remove one wall at a time and put new insulation(maybe spray foam)and then drywall. will have to work out cost and go from there,wife wont like it maybe send her on holiday for each wall.i will let everyone know what i decide and how it is progressing

o

Thanks, Fred, I will be interested in what you do and how effective it is. I am in southern lower Michigan, so the lakes shelter us from the cold you get.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here