Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water damage

Posted by nicolex86 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 28, 09 at 21:20

My heatpump leaked and now I have water damage in my kitchen. The subfloor is going to need replacing. The problem is that part of the subfloor is underneath my kitchen cabinets. I can't imagine how we're going to get those cabinets out without tearing them all to pieces. My home is a 10 year-old Palm Harbor. Some of the drywall (at the bottom, where it meets the floor) is wet too.

I've never filed an home insurance claim, but I'm worried about my cabinets. What if I can't find cabinets to match my existing cabinets? I can't imagine the ins. co. paying for cabinets for my entire kitchen (though it would be nice). Anyone ever been in this predicament, and if so, do you have any useful advice?

Also, I read on another forum that the insurance company will give the MORTGAGE company the money for the insurance repairs, and that the mortgage co. will in turn give the money to us. If this is true, it's stupid!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water damage

I'm not familiar with Palm Harbor but can't imagine that they would still be using particle board 10 years ago. If the sub-floor is plywood you might be able to save it by getting it dried out as quickly as possible. As for the cabinets (again I'm not familiar with PH) My friend bought a Solitaire in 1993 and after delivery noticed that the cabinets were not installed correctly. They sent someone out and they detached the cabinets from the wall. They discovered a floor fastener sticking up slightly away from the wall on one end. The cabinet was sitting on top and caused them to be higher on the opposite end. So, maybe they can remove your cabinets and reinstall them. You'll never know until you look at how they are installed. When the insurance appraiser comes out point this out to him.

As to the insurance check. They typically make the check out to both of you. My friend had to send hers to the mortgage company, they endorsed it and sent it back. There was no problem. It just takes a few days depending on how you send it. I would send it overnight with return overnight envelope included. She also called the mortgage company to inform them that it was coming and verified that this was the proper way to handle it.

Hope this helps.

o
RE: water damage

let your insurance co worry about it..there are manufac home places that probably well the right stuff for them to match

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here