Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brnincalif

Fake wood kitchen cabinets options

brnincalif
13 years ago

I have read about a lot of people painting their pressboard kitchen cabinets but I was wondering if

anyone has tried the gel stain on them or if there

are any other options besides just paint. Don't really

see too many postings on kitchen cabinet options for

particle board cabinets on HGTV website so I thought I'd try here.

Comments (13)

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

We had our kitchen cabinets refaced with a thin ply on the sides and regular one by for the face frames. It is not as perfect as it would have been if it had come from the factory that way but it looks fine. Better than the paper stuff.

I do not know of anything that would work on the paper other than paint. And be sure you read about how it is done here. I think there was a long post about it some where. Maybe in the walls post.

OH and when we did have our cabinets refaced I had him leave off the crown molding on the top. I was not fond of it. AND our doors and drawer fronts are real wood always were.

I will look for the post I might remember the title if I see it.

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Had to dig for these because they are on the Smaller homes board not the MFH board.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/smallerhomes/msg090101353004.html

She has also done her kitchen cabinets that were real wood in places but she used bead board wallpaper and painted it and it looks fantastic.

Both threads are long reads but worth the time. She had done a wonderful job of revamping her house.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen

• jaybird
    13 years ago

buy a can of gel stain in the desired color
    remove doors
    clean doors and cabinet boxes with TSP - scrub gently and dry with old rags or cheapy paper towels
    use tack rag lightly to remove any dust or lint
    use a sponge brush to put on one coat of stain...long even strokes to keep from having marks in the stain
    let dry completely
    do another coat with fresh sponge brush
    let dry completely
    reattach doors and hardware
    (we actually replaced the hardware, but if you are using the old hardware, be sure to clean it well before attaching)
    stand back and admire

• brnincalif
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jaybird I will try it on a few extra doors I have
    from taking down overheads and get good at it before I
    do the doors in the kitchen. I am getting new hardware,
    I think I'll even have to get hinges cause mine are cheap
    and look terrible after 20 years of abuse. I will put up
    a post after I am done.

• brnincalif
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here are new pics of cabinets after gel stain, countertops are next

jpg">

jpg">

jpg">

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

WOW Looking GREAT!!! Are the pictures more clear on Flicker?? That is amazing they turned out so nice looking!! Fantastic job.

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

That gel stain does look great. I'm saving pennies for the shelves that pull out including a pantry system for the full length shelving unit. Expensive but I'm going to love it when I get them.

• brnincalif
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes they are the pressboard covered with paper. I did not want to go through all the work to prime and paint them so this was a really good option. It was an easier option to just apply the gel stain . There are a few different brands and colors so I would recommend just go and look. It depends on what color they are now and what you use to get the effect you want. I am very happy with mine but I would recommend also putting polyueathane over it when it dries. I didnt at first but it started to wear off after about six months so I touched them up and put the poly over everything and it has held up great since then. Good luck!

• outdoorgirl16
    10 years ago

brnincalif, were any of your doors and drawers damaged with the paper peeled off and the press board exposed? Some of ours are peeled off mostly on the edges and some at the tops of a few doors and drawers. Just wondering how the gel stain looks and adheres to the areas that are bare.

• brnincalif
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No outdoorgirl16 mine were in good shape just not a great color. So I don't know how it would turn out if they are in the shape yours are. Just get a small container of it and do a test spot on one of the worn parts of the cabinet and see what happens. Good luck :)

• outdoorgirl16
    10 years ago

Thanks, brnincalif. Though ours are not in the best of shape I went ahead and tried the gel stain this weekend. I chose a walnut color to try and hide the "damage". They look so much better! I am going to get the polyureathane on this weekend. What a very easy and inexpensive cosmetic makeover! Can't believe it. Thanks for posting this. I will post pictures when I get the doors back on.

• DeeRoss
    9 years ago

We can't afford to get new Mobil home cabinets. This is the worst part under the kitchen sink. Any way to Paint or do anything with these cabinets. I would like to go white,but I'm afraid it will show up too bad. And I don't like them as dark as they are.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling