Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vinyl covered section of wall falling apart!!

Posted by beth1954 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 11:13

I have one section of wall that is just kind of well....disintegrating. Several years ago I had two male cats that sprayed on that wall alot. It's right next to the cat pan. I have female cats now, and I have never seen them do anything outside of the pan. It is a typical mobile home wall, some kind of "sheet rock" covered in vinyl. I painted all the walls in my bedroom years ago, and have had no problems anywhere else. I don't think I can do this alone (I have no tools except for a hammer, screwdrivers, etc).....I am guessing that I have to take off the trim, pull the wall off, and replace it with a new piece of this sheeting--whatever it is called. Is this complicated? If I could get someone to cut it to fit for me, would it be difficult?? Thanks, Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vinyl covered section of wall falling apart!!

Some walls in mobile homes are put in with long staples. Once you get an edge loose it should be easy to put it off the rest of the way. That's the good news. The bad is, sometimes the molding trim pieces break up when you take them off even if you are careful doing it. Take a piece of the wall with you to a big lumber company and they will help you find the right thickness you need, it may not be the same material the orginal was though. Also take the measurements with you and they will probably cut it for you. Buy paneling nails to nail it in.

o
RE: vinyl covered section of wall falling apart!!

You're right, you're most likely going to need to replace that. You don't need to wrack your brain trying to find a matching sheet of vinyl wallboard, I matched the thickness of my wallboard to 3/8'' drywall, which you can get anywhere. It's not complicated to do, but it helps to have a 2nd person and do a little research first about hanging drywall so you're not completely in the dark. Taking the wall panel off will be easy though. You can use screws or drywall nails to attach the new piece, I recommend screws. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here