Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do not paint your fake wood cabinets without reading this first!

Posted by brnincalif (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 8:07

I had ugly fake wood kitchen cabinets and have been seriously considering painting them. I read about gel stain and decided to try it. I got a cherry color to do mine which were a ugly yellowish fake wood color. All I did was wipe it on. No sanding, one coat and they look AWESOME! I will post some pictures soon. (Any tips on how to get them right into the post???). But at the moment I have a lot going on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do not paint your fake wood cabinets without reading this fir

Here are the pics....finally

o

What is the Gel called?
They look great? Is that the same stuff you can also do counters with?

o

trailortrash - maybe you're thinking of the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations and Countertop Transformations? I believe the OP used something more like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Minwax Gel Stain

o

Can you please email me your pics. I am unable to see them any larger than the thumbnails posted, even when I saved them to my computer. I am just getting started on a complete mobile home update/remodel and I am very interested in this process. Thanks so much.

o

for the cabinets I went to Lowes and got a gel stain there are many different types and shades.The countertops are Gianigranite.com an acrylic paint that goes on in layers then you seal it. It has been several months and it is holding up fine.

I have more pictures on flickr just follow the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/debshouse/

o

brnincalif: you have a beautiful home. I really like what you've done. I want to redo my cabinets but will probably try to go lighter. I also used the Gianigranite on my countertops and I love it. It looks like we chose the same color. Mine has been done almost a year and still looks great.

o

Thank you abbisgram. I originally wanted to go lighter on the cabinets too but since they are pressboard I knew I couldn't sand and restain but I'm pretty happy with them.

o

Thank you for posting this...can you do a step by step for me?? I LOVE your cabinets, countertop and backsplash!!! Please help me!!!

o

Your home is absolutely gorgeous.....

o

can you please tell me the name of the gel, we are redoing our faux wood cabinets in our park model. Your kitchen looks beautiful!!

o

Would this also work on a dinning table? If so, how would I seal it? Thanks!

o

teresa22 I think it would work on any wood. I put a clear sealer on the top of mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here