Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
buying a pre-owned manufactured home

Posted by prairydawn (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 18, 06 at 23:39

Hi everyone, a newbie here. We are considering purchasing a pre-owned manufactured home built in the early 90's in NY, near Ithaca. I was wondering what we need to know when we go to look at it. What should we be looking for? Do home inspectors typically have knowledge on manufactured homes? We would also like to have an addition put on, a stick built addition complete with basement. The house is currently on poles that go below the frost line. Is an addition of this nature possible? This is actually a make or break point on the purchase. I had asked the real estate agent and she assured me that 'of course you can add on'. However we would rather ask the experts, you folks, to see what your opinions are. I have one last question, and forgive my ignorance. The whole house is wall papered. We would like to strip it off and paint the walls instead. Not knowing what the walls are typically made of, we didn't know if this was a bigger job than the usual spray and scrape. Thank you in advance!

Dawn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: buying a pre-owned manufactured home

I suppose that this is a HUD code home. The dimensions of it would tell me a great deal. The existing walls probably are gypsum board with the wallcovering applied at the factory while the panels were being manufactured. When installed, such panels typically have a trim strip of plastic or wood over the edges where the panels butt together. The gypsum is required to meet the interior flame spread requirements. Wood paneling burns quickly and is prohibited by the present code. I suggest that if this is the type panels you have, the present wallcovering be left in place, not stripped off, and painted or new paper be applied on top. Ask a local wall paper installer. Additions should carefully plan for the roof junction design to avoid leaks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here