Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winterizing a mobile home in TN

Posted by dee74 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 07 at 18:01

Hi folks, we just bought a vacation home just north of Chattanooga TN. Used to live up north but been in FL for 25 years and have forgotten how to winterize the home. It is on piers with vinyl skirting. The bank had a service that had blue stuff in the toilets, but other than that what should we do. Drain all water lines, hot water heater,toilets? Should we treat with anything and leave water in lines? Should we shut off all water and power to the home? In general help is needed as you can see, thanks in advance for all info, Dee.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winterizing a mobile home in TN

Drain anything that holds water. I then use a large wet-or-dry shop vac to get the water out of toilet bowls after flushing the toilet. Turn off the water supply, open all faucets. If the lowest point on the supply line can be opened and drained, do so. But typically for the supply lines, just opening the faucets will do the job. As water freezes, it does so gradually starting at the walls of the pipe. That will push the liquid out as the freeze expands if the faucets are open. Use the shop vac on the open faucet and on the drains to clear the traps if desired. I use no chemicals.

o

Here in upper New York state it gets darn cold. I live in mine year around so I don't have to winterize. But those that do, do it this way.
BYPASS the hot water tank. Requires extra plumbing. Then drain that. Then open all the faucets and valves. Next they connect a pump to the water line (everyone here has this connection previously install) and pump in anti-freeze until it comes out of every tap. Takes about 5-8 gallons. This anti-freeze is not the same as for cars. It is specially designed for home water pipe use just in case you accidently drink a drop or 2 after you put the water back in. It stays liqid down to minus 50.

o

Thanks a bunch for the replies,I will hope for the best, keep you posted next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here