Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsmanning0001

Is There Anything I can do About Mold Over Taking Our Home?

jsmanning0001
12 years ago

In June of 2011 I discovered a heavily saturated area of black mold coming out of the seams on the walls in my hall area. This wall is adjacent to the marriage line of the two sections. After pulling back the paneling strip that covers large gap in between two walls, I discovered that the entire area along the marriage line, between the two walls was engrossed with black mold.

I checked other interior walls and discovered that every wall along the marriage line has black mold. When pulling back paneling strips there are gaps in between the two walls. Some gaps range up to 3 inches in depth from the floor to the ceiling. The walls are not plumb with each other. However, this is not visible as the manufacturer covered it with 4 inch strips of wood and painted them to match the sheetrock panels.

I have spoken with various mold removal companies to find out that this situation will cost several thousands of dollars if not more to fix. It is also possible that the seal was not correctly placed along the marriage line. There are 4 walls that run along the marriage line of the home. All 4 walls are infected. However, it is not possible that a small amount of mold started in one spot and then grew across the center of the walls. This is because there are spaces in the walls that open into other rooms and walk areas that do not allow the walls to join.

There is no way to access the centers of these walls without removing the structural walls in the center of the home. Obviously, not a safe option as the roof would collapse. We have also been told also been told that the home may have to be jacked up, separated at the marriage line, disinfected, replace walls, and then put back together. This could easily cost more than the home is worth.

It appears that the home was either not constructed properly or that the manufacturer ignored the fact that the large spaces in the marriage line would create large air pockets which can not be ventilated and therefor create the perfect breeding grounds for various molds, including toxic molds.

Currently, we have to prepare to move from our home immediately. We have a 9 month old daughter at home and fear for her health, as well as ours. My husband and I have both had several severe sinus infections over the past 4 years. We suffer from severe headaches that my doctor now believes is due to the black mold. My mother-in-law stays with us a few nights a week as she cares for our daughter during the day. She, too, has started having severe migraines and has been put on costly medications that are not helping.

During the time I discovered the black mold, we were attempting to put our house on the market. However, that is no longer possible due to the mold. Unfortunately, we cannot afford to pay the mortgage, pay rent for another home, and pay for the repairs and treatment at the same time. It is not physically possible with our financial situation.

I am requesting any information or guidance you may be able to provide so that we can rectify this problem before our home is declared unlivable. Right now our sole priority is the health of our daughter. We want to avoid financial problems created by not being able to pay housing costs for both our current home which is unlivable and a home that we would have to rent.

Comments (2)

Sponsored