Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building a custom modular home...where to start?

Posted by jessearl (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 16:00

My husband and I are just starting our renovation process and don't really know what the first step is. Because of an oddly shaped building plot, none of the "stock" plans we've looked at from Modular companies really fit what we need. How do we start the custom design process? Should we find an architect first to design it or a custom modular company we like and see if they recommend a designer?

Also, any recommendations for northeastern NJ? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building a custom modular home...where to start?

Choose your builder/dealer first. An architect may or may not know about some of the technical considerations of the modular concept. A particular modular manufacturer may have length limitations based on factory size, delivery equipment, transport laws, etc.. Start with a dealer.

o

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. Just about all modular companies have design staffs and can custom make a home.
Also what are your limitations? Slope? Lot size? drainage?

I am not recommending this company, but I have seen their products first hand up here in Vermont as there's a whole subdivision using theor product. But they can and do build custom houses to your specs.

Click the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Westchester Modular

o

One of th emain things you want to do is find a manufacturing facility that's within 200 miles of your lot. There are many such places in the northeast. Going halfway across the country to find a manufacturer can be costly as far as transportation goes. Find a company that has a rep in NJ and start there. Also decide if you just want the home delivered and you'll do the general contracting or if you want the dealer to be the GC also. I had the dealer handle everything since I was in PA and the lot was in VT. And they did a very nice job.

o

If you are in northern NJ, I would agree that you should check out Westchester Modular Homes. Also check out Chelsea Modular Homes, which is only a short drive from Westchester Modular. They built their reputation on custom design services. (Full disclosure time: I was the CAD manager for Chelsea for a long time before moving north.) Tell them I recommended them.

Wayne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here