Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, can I paint this?

Posted by crayzie4dogs (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 9:18

Please help with any ideas. We are about to purchase a '82 mobile home. We love the property its located on so much that I would pop a tent on it if I had to! With all that said we are not in love with the mobile home. The carpet has to come out first thing with wood laminate being our cheapest route on the floor. That being said the whole mobile home has wood panel walling or that is what I think it is. I am attaching a pic of the master bedroom and I can not figure out how to attach more. Can I paint over this?

I read another thread; http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/manuhomes/msg0808073914429.html?12

and believe I might try it with the cabinets at a later time.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, can I paint this?

We move into a older mobile home which every room had wood paneling. Painted change them from dark/ dreary to bright/cheery. . Wash the walls first to remove yrs of grime, lightly sand, prime and paint. (buy a good quality paint) May take 2 coats! You will love the results!

This post was edited by ceahorse on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 18:59

o

Thanks!

o

I would like to add that if the paneling is not wood, but is a vinyl woodgrain finish, that sanding is not a good idea. Better to use a special latex bonding primer instead.

o

Thanks b/c I don't believe its real wood. I will look into finding a latex bonding primer.

o

Yes, paint it! We painted the interior of our vintage mobile home and never looked back. I am sorry I don't have any before and after photos to share. The change was amazing.

Wash walls well and use Zinsser 1, 2, 3 primer available at big box stores. It will help greatly to have the primer tinted to match your wall color.

o

My Aunt painted her walls that where wood paneling with some paint that had sand in it. It gives a good texture she washed it first with this degreaser stuff called TSP I think it's name is? and then painted it on there it came out real nice.

o

By all means-if you haven't done it by now-go for it! We had the same deal-ALL dark brown paneling! We had a painter come in & he did the 3 front rooms & I did the rest. You need to use a 'bonding primer (Valspar has a great one)..BUT just remember..you don't need a thick coat of it-you just need it to be the 'sticker' for your paint. Let the primer season for a few days before painting. I sold my place in FL in February & moved back home to PA. The ONLY rental available at the time I could afford was...another mobile home-but this is a single wide-big enough for me, since I'm now a widow. Anyhow..I started in July and again-this place was ALL dark brown-woodwork, walls-everything. My kitchen & dining room, I used the bonding primer on the cabinets on the 34 doors & drawers and all of the walls, woodwork & window casings. As for paint-one hint the painter in FL told me about: All mobiles usually have the plastic moldings on the edges of walls/corners and said to use Rustoleum paint as it's much harder and won't chip off if something bumps into it. I'm proud to say-in the past3 months-I have my living, dining & kitchen all looking HAPPY now! It took me awhile as I'm almost 70 yrs old & have tons of degenerative arthritis in my spine, so ladder work was a real effort but I did it!! Soory so long but methinks I am an "ace" after painting all of these darn homes. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here