Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crayzie4dogs

Help, can I paint this?

crayzie4dogs
10 years ago

Please help with any ideas. We are about to purchase a '82 mobile home. We love the property its located on so much that I would pop a tent on it if I had to! With all that said we are not in love with the mobile home. The carpet has to come out first thing with wood laminate being our cheapest route on the floor. That being said the whole mobile home has wood panel walling or that is what I think it is. I am attaching a pic of the master bedroom and I can not figure out how to attach more. Can I paint over this?

I read another thread; http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/manuhomes/msg0808073914429.html?12

and believe I might try it with the cabinets at a later time.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• crayzie4dogs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

• cathyyg
    10 years ago

I would like to add that if the paneling is not wood, but is a vinyl woodgrain finish, that sanding is not a good idea. Better to use a special latex bonding primer instead.

• crayzie4dogs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks b/c I don't believe its real wood. I will look into finding a latex bonding primer.

• Robin Henson
    10 years ago

Yes, paint it! We painted the interior of our vintage mobile home and never looked back. I am sorry I don't have any before and after photos to share. The change was amazing.

Wash walls well and use Zinsser 1, 2, 3 primer available at big box stores. It will help greatly to have the primer tinted to match your wall color.

• Amihobbit
    10 years ago

My Aunt painted her walls that where wood paneling with some paint that had sand in it. It gives a good texture she washed it first with this degreaser stuff called TSP I think it's name is? and then painted it on there it came out real nice.

• sharon_pa
    10 years ago

By all means-if you haven't done it by now-go for it! We had the same deal-ALL dark brown paneling! We had a painter come in & he did the 3 front rooms & I did the rest. You need to use a 'bonding primer (Valspar has a great one)..BUT just remember..you don't need a thick coat of it-you just need it to be the 'sticker' for your paint. Let the primer season for a few days before painting. I sold my place in FL in February & moved back home to PA. The ONLY rental available at the time I could afford was...another mobile home-but this is a single wide-big enough for me, since I'm now a widow. Anyhow..I started in July and again-this place was ALL dark brown-woodwork, walls-everything. My kitchen & dining room, I used the bonding primer on the cabinets on the 34 doors & drawers and all of the walls, woodwork & window casings. As for paint-one hint the painter in FL told me about: All mobiles usually have the plastic moldings on the edges of walls/corners and said to use Rustoleum paint as it's much harder and won't chip off if something bumps into it. I'm proud to say-in the past3 months-I have my living, dining & kitchen all looking HAPPY now! It took me awhile as I'm almost 70 yrs old & have tons of degenerative arthritis in my spine, so ladder work was a real effort but I did it!! Soory so long but methinks I am an "ace" after painting all of these darn homes. LOL

• sharon_pa
    7 years ago

Amihobbit...yes.go for it. Every box store has the Primer I spoke about...just go to Home Depot and tell them what kind of primer you want. I can't think of the name of it-I know it wasn't Zinzer If you email me your real email addy-I can send you before & after shots of rooms & furniture I've used it on. Sharon

• Mamabear
    7 years ago

I have no advice or experience with this but I just wanted to say how nice it would look to do all white with that back wall as a accent wall. In a wierd way I love how the "wood" panels zig-zag like that

• Kathleen Squires
    7 years ago

I agree with Momabear. OP have you decided what you're going to do?