Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl siding was someone kidding

Posted by tkhooper (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 6:08

My vinyl siding has cracks and holes in it. I can't believe something so flimsy ever made it on the market.

But, back to the point, is there a way to repair the damage; or, do I have to buy more vinyl siding and then put it up. And if so, can someone tell me how it is done? I can't believe I'm asking that. Sounds like pouring good money after bad doesn't it?

Maybe a better question would be can I replace, one side at a time, the vinyl siding with that new stuff made of recycled materials. And how would I go about it?

Lots of questions in this post aren't there. Sorry about that. By the way I have a 1995 doublewide on a permenant foundation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl siding was someone kidding

If it has cracks and holes in it "something" must have happened to it. Claim it on your homeowners insurance!

o

The vinyl siding can be replaced piece by piece. The problem is that on a 13 year old home the color will have faded and you will never get a good match to the existing color. If it's white it might match okay.
I would look in the yellow pages and find someone that does siding and ask if they would look at it for a repair and give you an estimate/advice.
Most of the vinyl siding that I've seen might be from a major manufacturer, but is of a lesser quality than you'd find on a typical home. Sometimes it's referred to as "builder's grade". It might be the same material, but it's about 25% thinner and costs less. Holding the two grades side by side you can't tell the difference.
As Nessie said...something had to be hitting against the siding to cause the damage. Holes don't just appear by themselves. Most siding is guaranteed for about 50 years so I would not be afraid to use it as long as there aren't kids throwing things against it.

o

There are reasons your siding has cracks and holes in it. But they don't happen by themselves. Are you the original owner of the home? Cracks come from something hitting the siding. And holes come from drills, or nails, or screws.
People sometimes want to hang decorations or flags from the home and just nail into the siding. The doesn't allow the siding to expand and contract in the heat and cold, and as a result, the siding must do something, so it cracks or bows. The WORST thing you can do is attach something to the siding using a nail or screw.

o

there is a HUGE difference between builders grade and mid grade on many items... siding would happen to be one of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here