Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenmax_gw

insurance void if additions or changes made

kenmax
13 years ago

I was told by State farm & Allstate if I replace siding with brick or add on, my policy would be voided. Any changes to the outside finish or roof line would void the policy. If I did it without asking and ever had a claim they would not cover it. Anyone else heard of this stupid rule? Any insurance companies that will cover it?

Comments (4)

• christopherh
    13 years ago

Your homeowner's policy covers certain things. And if you add to the home, you notify your insurance agent, and s/he makes the necessary changes to cover your additions/changes.

When we installed a woodstove in our new modular we had to notify the insurance company. Because if we didn't, and had a fire, it wouldn't be covered. So a phone call to the agent, along with the certs of a professional installation was all we needed to do. And our premium went up a whole $3 a month. But when we get an old fashioned New England Nor'easter in winter, the wind is howling, there's 40 inches of snow on the ground, and the power goes out for 3 days, that stove is heaven, and well worth the extra three bucks a month!

Now you may have a policy for a manufactured home, and you want to make some changes to make it more "permanent", so you might just need a different policy, that's all.

It's really not that big a deal.

• kenmax
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thats what we thought as well, but after speaking to both insurance co. we were told that in Tennessee we could not make changes to the outside with a manufactured home policy and could not get a regular home policy because it was a manufactured home! Makes no sense to me. Now we can make changes inside like adding a stove with no problem. Just wondered if anyone else has been told this by Allstate or State Farm? They said even with professional installation, inspection etc would not matter.

• christopherh
    13 years ago

Walk into an independent agent in town that writes for various companies and tell him/her what you want to do.

Our homeowner's policy isn't with any of the major companies.

You just might find a small Tenn based company that suits your needs just fine.

• jessicacope
    11 years ago

Try Farm Bureau. I'm in TN as well. My parents added on to their mobile home and never had any issues. Also put in a wood stove and again, no issues. Good luck!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida