Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theshining

Types of Manufactured homes?

theshining
17 years ago

Hello,

I was looking around on the internet and found a website that talks about the different types of manufactured homes or types of mobile homes out there.

Types of Manufactured homes

Is this an accurate resource on the different types of manufactured homes?

Thanks a lot!

Comments (6)

• bus_driver
    17 years ago

Seems to be a good, brief explanation of the types of factory- built houses. The single section and multisection mentioned first are HUD code, a Federal code that is less restrictive than most local codes. Most HUD code homes will decline in market value over time. Initial purchase price of HUD code houses tends to be lower than other types. In many States, they are titled like motor vehicles. Most houses built to local or State codes will appreciate in market value if well maintained.

• adirondackgardener
    17 years ago

I question the statement under Modular Homes:
    "Modular homes must comply with the building codes of the particular state where they were manufactured, and as such are not allowed to be moved out of the state where it was built."

Modules must conform to the building codes of the state where they will be permanently set on the foundation. For example, modules manufactured in Pennsylvania for a home to be located in New York must comply with the NY building code, not the state where it is manufactured.

I've been involved with modular homes that were installed, occupied and later sold and moved, but never tried to ship one to another state so don't know if the rest of the statement is true. I expect though, that if the documentation can show that it was built to a code also applicable in the new state, approval could be obtained.

Wayne

• adirondackgardener
    17 years ago

Follow-up:

I now notice that you are located in Australia. It's possible that the article is correct if it is referring to practices in Australian states. Here in the US, it's not correct but may be perfectly accurate in your country. I don't know where the author is referring to and I'm not familiar with Australian regulations.

Wayne

• christopherh
    17 years ago

"...Modules must conform to the building codes of the state where they will be permanently set on the foundation. For example, modules manufactured in Pennsylvania for a home to be located in New York must comply with the NY building code, not the state where it is manufactured..."

That's correct. Our modular was manufactured in PA and ordered from a dealer in New York state. So it had to be made to New York codes because that's where it was sold out of.
    The house was trucked to our lot in Vermont and it also had to meet all Vermont codes too. But I guess New York has some of the strictest codes around, so it passed all Vermont codes with no problems.

The dealer told us that they were not allowed to sell homes that were just built to HUD specs, as New York's codes are much higher. A simple thing like "snow loads" require homes to have a 4/12 pitched roof, whereas I guess in Florida, that's not a problem and flat roofs are more common.

• NVoneAcre
    17 years ago

I disagree with one statement from Bus Driver.

" Most HUD code homes will decline in market value over time."
    * In my area at least MFG homes which are placed on foundations and become a part of the real property, appreciate [or depreciate] at the same rate as their stick or modular neighbors. Those "mobiles" located in parks may or may not appreciate or depreciate depending on many factors including location.

• jca1
    17 years ago

* In my area at least MFG homes which are placed on foundations and become a part of the real property, appreciate [or depreciate] at the same rate as their stick or modular neighbors. Those "mobiles" located in parks may or may not appreciate or depreciate depending on many factors including location.

and just like stick builts it has more to do with tax value and land value than anything, the home itself without the land would still depreciate.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm