Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying Double Wide

Posted by revooh_c (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 07 at 22:19

Hopefully Monday will reveal to us that HUD has accepted our bid on a foreclosed double wide mobile home. The house is on a permanent brick foundation on 1 acre of land in SC.

Anyway, this would be the first time I have ever owned a mobile home. While the house is essentially in move in condition, there are some changes we want to make.

First of all, it has a small double sided fireplace between the living room and den. We want to remove it and replace it with a more efficient fireplace we can use to heat the house during the winter (and place the new fireplace in the corner, not the middle of the room). Is this advisable? Removing the fireplace would make for a very nice open "great room".

Secondly, I have been reading some in the forum about tiling. Since the house is on a permanent foundation, can we tile the bathrooms and the back entry/laundry room?

Finally, what about hardwoods? We want to remove all of the carpet and replace with hardwoods. Can we do "real" hardwoods, or do we need to stay with laminates?

Thanks for any advice,

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying Double Wide

I can help you with the fireplace.
Don't put in another fireplace if you want to use it for heat. Put in a woodstove. Many woodstoves are rated for manufactured homes and will heat your home very nicely. And you'll use less than 1/4 the wood than a fireplace will need to have the same heat. If you want to put it in a corner just get some small doorway fans to move the air to other parts of the house.

o
RE: Buying Double Wide

As for tiling the baths and entry, it depends on whether the floor is subject to flexing. If the fllor is not stiff enough to keep from flexing when you move across it, over time the grout will crumble out and the tiles may break.
As to hardwood flooring, I don't see why not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here