Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior door framing

Posted by grminor (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 19:58

I own a 2001 Palm harbor dw that has 6" exterior framing. I was looking to replace the cheap looking front door with a nice one from lowes. Of course my door is only 78" tall so the opening would have to be extended to an 82" rough opening. After checking with a stud finder and a finish nail it appears Palm Harbor does not install a header above the door. Is this standard or is it because the framing is 2x6 so it's stronger. Since there is no header I don't see any great difficulty installing a standard door. Also it appears that Palm Harbor could have installed a standard door instead of the "special" 78" door. Was that to make most people come to thim for a new door? $$$ Am I missing something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior door framing

I don't know, but I'm interested cause I'm getting a PH too. and I'll want to replace doors. the back one to start and eventually the front one also I think.

o

New door from Lowes supposed to be here next week. I'll post what I find when I start cutting.

o

The door's installed now. The old door was held in by a flange and screws on the outside. There was one long screw in the upper hinge side going thru the jamb to the stud. That's it. No shims or nails or screws at the hinges. Just abour 1/2" of space. On the latch side there was a couple of "shims" just held in by friction. The "shims" appeared to be pieces of laminate flooring. Across the top there was a stud, no header. I just cut it out and slipped the new door in. The old jamb was very thin and flimsy. I guess being attached with the flange made it seem stronger. The new jamb is over twice as thick. I installed it in the normal stick built way using long screws instead of nails and real shims. I don't think the top stud did anything. It wasn't attached to the door at all. Even the flange wasn't attached, no screws on top. So I don't think it will be any problem being gone.

o

Thank you for the update. Maybe your experience can help someone else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here