Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessicaml

Have you moved an original cabinet?

jessicaml
12 years ago

Has anyone here ever tried to move a MH cabinet? Since I'm planning to get new countertops, I'd like to switch the place of an isolated cabinet beside the fridge and put it in the fridge location to create a longer run of countertop. Looking inside the cabinet I can see 3 screws holding it to the wall, but someone on the smaller homes forum said they're often screwed in to the floor, which means moving it intact might not be possible. A bottom shelf is stapled in and I'm not sure how we could replace it if it was removed to access the floor. I know the easiest thing would be to remove the accessible 3 screws and see what happens...but I'd like to get a little more feedback if possible before I do that!

Comments (8)

• abbisgram
    12 years ago

Assuming you have a cabinet with drawers, can you take them out to see if it's attached to the floor? Most likely both cabinets would be done the same way.

• jessicaml
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish I had drawers all the way down! It would make figuring out construction much easier. All my cabinets have drawers on top and cabinets on bottom, though, so I haven't found a way to see the bottom without removing the bottom, stapled-in shelf.

• abbisgram
    12 years ago

I just checked mine, it has the bottom shelf running all the way under the drawers too. Hope you figure out a way to move yours. More countertop space is always nice.

• jessicaml
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The good news: the cabinet was held in by 4 screws to the wall, only one of which was in a stud. We actually pulled the top 3 out of the wall because we couldn't get traction in the drywall for them to properly screw out.

The bad news: the countertop is screwed to the drawer tracks and stapled to the cabinet in the back. Removing the countertops is therefore trickier than earlier anticipated, since the staples could be a headache and the drawers would need to be reinforced before installing new counters (relatively easy on the one cabinet we have out...not so much on the remaining cabinets). I'm beginning to see why a co-worker told me to just rip out the cabinets and put in all new. So, I'll get a quote from a countertop guy or two to see how much refacing the counters would be, since my dad insists finishing laminate well requires skill & experience (I was all set to DIY it a while back, before we looked at the cost of replacing). I'll also ask my husband what he thinks when he gets home, and whether the work involved in removing the tops, reinforcing the cabinets and continuing with the plan to get completely new counters would be worth it. (sigh) I was all set to go order my new countertops today, and now I don't know what we're going to do.

• abbisgram
    12 years ago

Well that complicates things, doesn't it? I've started the process of painting my cabinets and boy have I found some surprises! Maybe you can still get them refaced. My brother did his and I remember him saying he wouldn't do it again. Although he did do a good job.

• new-beginning
    12 years ago

I am ripping out all the old lower cabinets and replacing them, new countertops, new sub-floor, new floor, new sink, new faucet. Keeping the built in pantry and the two (very small) upper cabinets and the peninsula base cabinet.

• jessicaml
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sure ripping out the cabinets and starting over is a more practical solution, especially with affordable ready-to-assemble options from places like IKEA or Cabinets to Go. I was trying to make the most of what I had, though, and so far it's working out. Amazing what a change paint and a little rearranging can make. I was appalled at how flimsily put together these so-called cabinets are (mine are backless; are they all?), but my dad reminded me that most things are over-built, and these cabinets are adequate for their purpose (eliminated concrete as a countertop material, though!).

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Here is what it looked like when we had our crappy cabinets refaced. Wish I had bought new instead but it is what it is. They will be fine for as long as I live. LOL

Please forgive the dogs toy on the shelf. She does strange things with her toys. LOL No doors to keep her out of the cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty scary.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!