Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deps_gw

Who makes the rules of the MHP

deps
17 years ago

I know that each state has it's own rules governing the park. I live in a MHP in N.J. Now we all know that motorcycles are not allowed in retirement MHP's. Why? I have one, however it is kept at a friends at another retirement village but it is not a MHP. With gas prices, I sure could use that for work. There are a few people here who would like to get one for work purposes as well. I don't think that they need worry about us seniors roaring down the road like kids. How do MHP owners go about possibly changing a rule in their park? We pay land rent.

Any help sure would be appreciated. By the way, all my surrounding neighbors have no problem with me bringing my motorcycle in here. I have on occasions and they claim to have never even heard it.

Thank you for your time and opinions.

Comments (4)

• bus_driver
    17 years ago

States typically have rules that pertain to safety and health. Rules such as sewage disposal, water supply, tie-down for wind resistance, etc. The local government often has ordinances, mnay of which are designed to eliminate as many mobile homes as possible. It would astonish some to know about some of the people who pressure the local lawmakers on matters such as this. Park owners must comply with all those regulations. But the matter of motorcycles is almost certainly a rule established by the park owner. I know one park where a 12 year old living in the park shot out windows and electric meters with a BB gun. Dented some satellite dishes. Would you believe that the park owner then established a rule forbidding BB guns? I know of another instance, in the days before Direct TV and Dish Network, a park resident installed one of the big dishes of that time- about 10 feet diameter. The good location he found was on the property of another person. He had to be formally evicted from the park to get rid of the trespassing dish. A rule was established about the installation of large dishes. I suspect that the owner had or anticipated problems with bikers. My suggestion is to talk with the park owner.

• bus_driver
    17 years ago

Just one more thought. This park owner might have at one time rented a nice mobile home to a bike owner. The bike owner might have taken the bike inside on the carpet and done some repairs to the bike. Maybe overhauled the engine. After that, the park owner decided that a new rule was needed.

• mcgoverncindy
    12 years ago

You might want to read up on your codes and statuates of the state your in and go to mobile home occupancy laws. Find out also when that law in the park was established. When you signed your space agreement upon moving into the park did you get a copy of the rules and regulations along with a copy of the mobile home residency laws for that state. If the "No Motorcycles allowed in park" was already in the park rules upon you signing your agreement to move in I think your out of luck. But park owners can't just make their own by-laws and send residents their new laws any old time they feel like it. Notice must be posted in the park proposing the new law and then a meeting of all residents at which time there has to be a vote by park residents to even have the new park law inacted. Find your states mobile home residency laws (Penal Codes and Statuates) and really study it.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

A lot of cities have their codes on line. Check out your city website for their code.