Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upgrading from older DoubleWide

Posted by sella35 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 25, 06 at 7:06

I have about an acre of land, with an older doublewide. I would like to purchase a new or at least newer home. What must I consider when looking? What would I do with the old home? What about my plumbing and all that? Do the homes have to be the same length/width?
Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks,
Sella

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upgrading from older DoubleWide

Two entirely different factors may control matters in replacing the existing home. One is technical, the other is regulatory. In my area, units made before July 1, 1976 may not be relocated. In other words, it must be left where it is or destroyed. Renovation is permitted. Technical problems are easily solved. Better educate yourself about the local regulations first. Local mobile home dealers probably can answer most of your initial questions.

o
RE: Upgrading from older DoubleWide

We did exactly what you are pondering. I agree w/bus driver that the first things to check are the regs for your state and area. There could be set-back restrictions etc. The dealer from whom we purchased took away the older D/W we had, in fact it was one of the reasons we purchased from that dealer. They stuck it on their lot and sold it to someone else. In our case we did not have our old home on a foundation, so we had one built to match the new Home. In general whoever does the site work/foundation can deal with moving the plumbing as well. Just be VERY specific about what you want done, and make them stick to the contract. Shop around and get estimates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here