Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sky light coverings

Posted by nicknash (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 25, 06 at 2:59

I have an annoying skylight in the kitchen that radiates the heat downward in our current 105 degrees. I have put sun film on the inside but the wife complains that when the sun reaches it, it has a strong unpleasant odor.

Looking for other solutions that can keep the heat and bright lights out and the wife happy.

Any others with the same problems?
Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sky light coverings

i don't really have that problem, our skylight is in our kid's bathroom and i love it. it does warm the bathroom up a bit, but i think it's a fair trade-off for the nice bright light it provides. if i were in your situation i would consider a blind for the skylight.

:) jiggreen

Here is a link that might be useful: skylight blind

o

Thanks for the response and the link. The skylight blinds look good and I'll check them out. I thought they were probably very expensive, but I may have to go that route anyway.
Nick

o

that site has pricing, the bali's can be had for less than $150.00 which is for one blind, but (speaking as a wife here...lol) $150.00 is nothing compared to making your wife happy! i also think that by keeping out all of that heat, you're air conditioning bill would go down a bit. you would probably recoup some of the money over the long term.

:) jiggreen

o

I have the same problem with a skylight in the kitchen. I put two layers of sun film that didn't help. One year I put velcro and a thick layer of fabric up there but that didn't really work since it sagged. Those blinds are very expensive! What I try to do is time my kitchen activities around when the glaring sun is beating down on my neck.

o
Just an FYI...

I read somewhere...sorry can't remember where, that if you do use something to cover the heat from the skylight, lets say a blind, it needs to be for a skylight. What happens is it traps heat it and can damage the skylight. So just make sure you're buying something rated for a skylight. That was probably the funny smell from the film. Gotta watch the heat that will get trapped.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here