Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ank4353

Remodeling a Kitchen!

ank4353
11 years ago

My husband and I just bought a gorgeous mobile home!It's huge!But unfortunately this home was not kept up.Our biggest issue is the kitchen!I've read several posts on here about painting cabinets and have not found the answer Im looking for.The kitchen is all wood.Huge ceilings with columns...all wood!The cabinets are the particle board ones.The bottom ones are raised and some of the particle is showing(I can post a pic).They also have a gold trim on them.I understand how to paint them BUT the trim!?Should I keep the trim or attempt to paint it?The top cabinets are fine and have more detail.Would it look awful if I painted half the cabinets?I am in need of suggestions please!

Comments (3)

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

ank, could you please try using the spacebar when you type? I don't mean to be rude, but it's really difficult to read your post.

I painted my cabinets last year (same type as yours) in part because it was the only way to get ride of the hideous brassy trim piece. Just scuff sand everything use a bonding primer (like Zinsser BIN) under your paint.

If you check out the kitchen forum, lots of folks are doing two-toned kitchens these days with the top and bottom cabinets different colors; however, this usually involves a lighter color on top and darker on bottom. The Gardenweb search feature doesn't work well, but you can Google "gardenweb two toned kitchen" and find some helpful threads if you want to consider that look.

Without seeing a pic to know what you mean by "the top cabinets are fine and have more detail", my recommendation would be to paint them all. It's a lot of work, but I bet you'll be glad you did.

• resident_manager
    11 years ago

Another option would be to reface the front of the cabinets.

Lee
    Resident manager of over 20 years.

• wantoretire_did
    11 years ago

Now that posting pics is so much easier....... Haven't tackled the cabinets yet, but here is our kitchen floor we redid last year. Took out vinyl and had laminate installed. We had the beige carpet removed and carried the laminate through the LR, DR and hall. Soooo happy with it :-)

Sponsored