Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wallpaper over vinyl wallboard

Posted by jkpayne (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 17:12

I am trying to wallpaper over the typical vinyl wallboard in a small area. I wiped the surface down, and then tried putting up the paper however, it seemed the paper wasn't sticking once it dried. There was allot of paste on the paper (wavery prepasted) so much so that when I used the wallpaper brush to apply to get the bubbles out, the paste came out around the edges. Does anyone have any "easy suggestions" on doing this? I had painted over this same wallboard in my bathroom but decided I didn't like the look so I wallpapered over that and didn't have this problem. I'm afraid I'm going to have to paint it with Kilz (spelling) before I can paper. For an expensive MH, this was really put together poorly and the customer service with the manufacturer is horrible. I won't mind the walls so much if it weren't for those terrible strips and the wallboard underneath is 1/2" in some areas apart.
I've also laid porcelain tile in the family room and hardwood in the dining room.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wallpaper over vinyl wallboard

I hope someone responds to this thread because I have the same problem in my masterbath - the wall covering is plain ugly! The other rooms have been drywalled over and then we were able to paint. I hoped to be able to paint it but need to find a way to make sure the paint sticks and doesn't peel off.

o

Try asking at a paint store (Sherwin-Williams or such) to see what kind of primer you need. There are high adhesion primers that might work.

o

I had vinyl wallpaper on wallboard (the kind that it comes with from the factory) in my kitchen.
I peeled it off, used Kilz to prime it and then painted it with latex paint. I took off the strips that cover the seams and did some taping and mudding too. Came out pretty nice. I also did a little test area where I just used the kilz over the vinyl wallpaper and it worked.. however I've seen pictures of some where it peels off after awhile.
The Kilz leaves a good surface for you paint to stick to.
My vinyl wallpaper was very easy to peel off.. like contact paper.

o

I wallpapered my kitchen 2 years ago. I took down the strips, taped and mudded the cracks. I didn't prime the walls, which maybe i should have done, but haven't had any problems. Then i used a vinyl to vinyl paste at lowes for the walpaper. It's a little stickier than the regular paste or glue, but works better on vinyl walls. I haven't had any problems with it coming down or peeling.

o

I wallpapered with regular prepasted paper my kitchen a couple of years ago. On one wall I painted first with just a latex flat paint, on the other walls I went right over the old vinyl wallboard (yes, it is ugly!!!)...after removing the strips & filling the huge cracks. I haven't had any problems with either way. In the entire rest of the house, we removed the strips, filled & taped, and then mudded the HECK out of the walls to make up for the fact that nothing was even or level. We then painted and it turned out beautifully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here