Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulating Skirting

Posted by mboakie (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 08 at 11:29

We live in a mobile home in South Western ON, about 30 miles from Port Huron MI. The home is 10-15 years old, there is no foundation, it rests on concrete blocks with skirting on all four sides. The insulation & bladder under the home are in good condition. A company has been soliciting business in our mobile home park with an energy saving measure. They insulate all the skirting with high density styrofoam. Our concern is that all venting is removed. Should we be concerned with this? Is it truly an energy efficient form of insulating? Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulating Skirting

First you have to check your furnace. Most of the older ones drew the combustible air from under the home. The newer ones draw the air through a double pipe that goes through the roof. If yours is drawing air from under the home it won't make much sense to really button up the skirting. You could even see an increase in your fuel consumption because the furnace can't get the air that it needs.
If the furnace draws from the top then it could help to really insulate the skirting. But, I would leave some method of good, cross ventilation for the months when heat isn't needed.
The people selling the insulation job could have the tendency to overstate all the money that you are going to save. If the bottom of your home is well insulation and has not tears or gaps you probably won't get the savings that they are touting. I guess it will take an energy expect to determine your possilbe savings. Does your area have a free service that gives advice on energy saving devices? In my area we do.

o
RE: Insulating Skirting

I live in the south (Tennessee - foothills to the smokeys) we probably don't have as harsh weather as you but, we have concrete block around our house which includes vents. The same vents there are around homes - these can open and close depending on the season. If you are concerned about the air under the house, I would suggest doing something such as this and put the moisture barrier over the ground. If moisture is trapped under the house, it can cause big problems such as mold which is a health concern. I'd certainly have another type of company come out and give another opinon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here