Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Where to get Homeowners Insurance??

Posted by marksteph (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 08 at 10:56

We are in the process of purchasing a vacation property at Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri. The home is a 19 year old single wide (14x56) mobile home in very good condition. We are trying to find insurance coverage for it. We have State Farm on our main home and our cars but are having difficulty finding coverage for the mobile we intend to purchase. Does anyone have any recommendations for companies that offer coverage for mobile homes?

Thanks, Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Where to get Homeowners Insurance??

I live in Alabama and had one heck of a time getting insurance as Allstate would not renew us after all the hurricanes here..Because we did not have our cars insured with them..Did not even give us a chance..So went with Formost through AARP..Good luck Linda

RE: Where to get Homeowners Insurance??

Our insurance for our mobile home is through Grange. We have never had any problems with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grange insurance

RE: Where to get Homeowners Insurance??

My insurance is through State Farm. Never had a problem getting it. Of course mine is a double wide maybe that makes it different?

RE: Where to get Homeowners Insurance??

Check American Family they are good and even with mobiles homes in the country or boonies, I had mine listed with them after farm bureau bent me over the barrel. DO NOT GO FARM BUREAU they are liars. You will be happy with American Family trust me!

RE: Where to get Homeowners Insurance??

I just finished speaking with my State Farm agent about a property I'm considering and after doing a little research, he told me that State Farm won't insure a mobile older than 20 years unless they're already carrying the risk on a policy, i.e. if they write a policy on a 19 year old home, they'll continue covereage as long as you pay premiums.

Also, the mobile has be be the policyholder's primary residence, and State Farm must also carry the policyholder's auto policy.

He also said the property had to be within 10 miles of a fire station and not at significant risk of wildfires, so the area would need to be pretty much cleared of underbrush, etc..

When I asked about premiums, he gave me some numbers from an existing policy of his... 26K building, 27K contents, 100K liability for $505/yr.

RE: Where to get Homeowners Insurance??

We are with Farm Bureau and are very happy with their rates but have not made any claims. @countryboymo, why do you claim they are liars?

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here