Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
filling between vinyl covered drywall with caulking??

Posted by kmthompson2 (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 8:33

Can this be done well? I know that caulking is paintable and dries relatively fast- opinions???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: filling between vinyl covered drywall with caulking??

There have been a few posts about filling up the cracks between vinyl coated drywall. Most of the people here tend to go the tape and drywall compound route. Spackle cracks due to the shifts in the wallboard, but I don't know how a flexible caulk would do.
I would also like to know the answer because we are moving into a home next month that I want to cover the gaps. I will go the tape and compound route if I have to, but if there is a less time consuming method...

o

I just found a link to a product called "Faster Plaster" by Flexiwall. It is supposed to cover over the gaps between the wall panels (when the strips are gone) and be paintable or even re-wallpaper-able.
I have had excellent results in just taking down the strips and papering over the whole wall, gaps and all. A heavy wall covering and gaps of 1/2 in or less is best. Paintable wall covering is great if you want the texture, I love the stuff.
Also one might consider covering the walls with fabric....this can even be done in a removable manner so that it can be changed with little trouble. Links: http://www.rentaldecorating.com/quick_fix_fabric_on_walls.htm
http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-install-wall-treatments2.htm
I'd just worry about the starch drawing bugs...personally I'd chose a non-organic adhesive and just paint over the fabric when it came time for a change.

o

My husband purchased on line a product called Krack Kote. This is the web site to check it out: http://www.tkocoatings.com/krack-kote.html, and he would use nothing else now that he has used this product. We have had to help out a few folks that also have MFHs and my husband used this in their houses and they are very satisfied with no more cracks coming back. I am sure there are other products but we have had good experience with this product which was recommended to us by a MFH manufacturer.

o

I did this with great success, the trick is to find a great flexible caulk that won't shrink.
I've used DAP Dynaflex 3.0 it's a gold tube with blue lettering.
Invest in a caulk gun that costs around $10-15, it is worth it!
For the cleanest lines, mask each side of the gap with masking tape, use as little caulk as possible (seriously only cut the tip a teeny bit) and use a popsicle stick (or craft stick) to push the caulk into the gap and leave a really clean seam. Just use the stick the same way you used the caulk gun, from top to bottom, and wipe of excess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here