Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uniqcrafts2000

Can drywall be installed?

uniqcrafts2000
17 years ago

In mobile homes can drywall be installed? I hate all the fake walls and was thinking of installing drywall. Should I do this?

Comments (8)

• sweets98
    17 years ago

It CAN be installed, however I would only do it if I was on a foundation. There are reasons why there is paneling in a mobile home and one of them is that it needs to be moved. The mobile home will settle and move over time and paneling allows for this with little issues (although sometimes doors no longer shut or stay closed because of it).

I have a friend that they drywalled their second bedroom when their DS was born and all I could think was in awhile, they're going to have huge cracks down the wall :/ I thought the drywall was a GREAT idea until this occured to me and besides, we're not living in this mobile home forever. We want something bigger in the years to come!

• djatsw47
    17 years ago

I have a large double-wide on a brick foundation. It was already drywalled in the main living areas and master bedroom and has held up well except for one crack. However, having had stick-built homes, I know for a fact that settling causes cracks in them too.

• sweets98
    17 years ago

Yes, it does but I think it could happen a lot more in a mobile home. Especially if say you decide to move it somewhere else or sell it and have someone else move it....imagine it going down the road and shaking and moving and what a mess that will be! ;)

• jcssweety05
    8 years ago

I would like to pull out paneling in our master bath and replace it with drywall what kind & what thickness should I use our double wide is a 1991 we had a water leak & mold is a problem right now I am going to replace all waterlines floor ect. just not sure about drywall please all suggestions are welcome I would like to eventually have drywall throughout the whole house we have a block foundation with a addition over top of 2 car garage thank you

• cathyyg
    8 years ago

Our doublewide has drywall throughout, walls and ceilings, and is now 4 years old. It was transported and set up on a non-permanent foundation. Yes, it settled and got some cracks in the wallboard, but it was only in corners and was easily repaired by the dealer at the 1-year warranty final visit. We got a couple more when we had an earthquake, but again only in corners. YMMV.

• cathyyg
    8 years ago

As far as wallboard in your bathroom, Jcssweety05, I would recommend whatever the building code specifies for stick-built homes, probably either 1/2 or 5/8 inch. I think there is a mold resistant variety of gypsum wallboard. Be sure to have a professional treat the mold problem! It is not necessarily expensive, depending on the quantity, location, and type of mold. That way you know you don't have a problem growing behind your new wallboard.

• jcssweety05
    8 years ago

Thank you all so much

Sponsored