Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vinyl wallboard repair

Posted by markmrobbins (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 14, 09 at 23:33

Finding great info on this site, thanks!
So I'm getting ready to paint over my vinyl wallboard and have one question. It's not wallpapered, just the lightly textured stuff.
At a few spots the covering is bubbled up off of the underlying surface - how should I smooth this out? Cut off the bubbled up sections then spackle? Or tape it with something then spackle?
I'm planning on priming first then painting, if that changes anything.
Your thoughts are appreciated!
Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vinyl wallboard repair

Also, I have a couple sizeable holes (1/2" to 3/4") that need to be patched. What's the best method?

o

Since I am not sure on the age of your home. I will provide the best way that I know of for repairing the holes that you have. It will actually be better to remove a panel of vinyl covered wallboard from your closet and exchange it with the damaged piece. Since it is in the back of the closest you will not see it as readily. You should be able to pop the batten strips that hold it in place to take it out. Good Luck!

o

That sounds like alot of work. Plus if there are kids in the house, you'll likely have more holes and eventually run out of closet panels. I'd just get all rough edges out the holes, then put some dry wall tape over them and then use dry wall mud, then sand smooth. I don't know what to tell you about the bubbles. I have some places like around some of my windows were I think they maybe just tightened the screws too much and it casued the covering the wrinkle up. I just planned on painting over it since it will covered by curtains anyways. good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here