Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrfrog

buying a double wide

msrfrog
18 years ago

hi

i am in the process of buying dw on a foundation. it can be mortgaged for 30 years. it is in new york. only concern is kerosene heat. i am a first time home buyer. any info on this fuel? it is on 1.5 acre lot

Comments (5)

• bungeeii
    18 years ago

Here in my part of Michigan it is not uncommon to find Natural Gas, Propane or Fuel Oil. I was reading on a boiler site somewhere that you get more BTU's per gallon out of fuel oil than you do propane. There are furnaces manufactured that produce pretty good effeciency numbers. You're likely going to cook with electric, as well as using an electric dryer. I'm not sure, but you're probably going to use electric hot water as well.

• christopherh
    18 years ago

Kero is expensive. My suggestion is to install a wood stove and use that for your primary heat source. This is what we did and I don't regret it for one minute. And Vermont winters can be cold. Our oil furnace is now backup heat. We used less than one tank this past winter. We filled it December first and again April fifth. We used 165 gallons of oil for an entire Vermont winter. Most of that was for hot water.

Wood is a renewable source and has the most thermal BTUs. Plus all stoves sold today are EPA approved for low emissions and many are approved for manufactured home use. And they work GREAT in a power failure! Plus there's just something about a wood fire on a snowy evening in January.

• bungeeii
    18 years ago

Not all stoves sold are EPA approved. Not all stoves are ceated equal. You can buy equipment that will do you proud, and you can buy stuff that will turn you off of wood forever.

• msrfrog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i'm in luck because, it has a wood stove!

• christopherh
    18 years ago

"...Not all stoves sold are EPA approved. Not all stoves are ceated equal. You can buy equipment that will do you proud, and you can buy stuff that will turn you off of wood forever..."

EVERY new wood stove sold today must be EPA approved. The only exceptions are those little cast iron stoves used in camps. And that's because they are too small to affect anything. You're lucky you can get one full log inside those.

Back in the late 80s there were many stove manufacturers. When the EPA instituted the levels of particulates stoves may emit, 90% of the stove makers went out of business. So the stoves sold today are either "clean burn" with baffles or they have catalytic converters in the flue. My Regency is the latest technology design. No cat. And it heats my modular very well.

Buying a stove is just like buying anything else. You get what's best suited for your needs. Too small and you are always cold. Too big and you either have too cold a fire which causes creasote or you're opening the windows all the time. You get a properly sized stove.

I've been burning trees for many, many years. So I am well aware of what's out there.

MSRFROG
    Have the stove checked by a chimney sweep. He can make sure all the parts as well as the chimney are in good working order. And never burn freshly cut (green) wood in the stove. You should buy the wood as soon as you close on the house. Then let it sit until you need it. Everybody around here is buying their wood right now for next winter. The average price around here is $135 a cord split and delivered. I use about 3 cords a year.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022