Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on the floor seam running down center of house

Posted by kleilac (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 20:32

Hi. We're getting ready to lay vinyl plank flooring in our manufactured home and after pulling up the carpet, found that there's a small space between the two sides of the house (the seam that runs down the middle of the floor).. the space is about 1/8", maybe 1/4"... Luckily, the two sides are level....I did some checking on some other forums to see if we need to fill this gap in with something or just lay the flooring over it. A couple of people advised that we fill it in, however, no one seems to know what we should use to fill it in..

The flooring we've purchased is from Lowes.. It's called "Luxury Vinyl Plank" and it lays directly over the subfloor. The planks are each 4" wide, 36" long and are peel and stick. We were advised to buy Henry's floor primer to insure a good seal.. But before we can get started, we need to figure out what to do about this slight gap..

My son suggested we use foam insulation, smooth it flat with a putty knife, then sand it if necessary before applying the primer.. Would that work??

There's so much interesting info on this site about manufactured homes, I'm hoping someone may have an idea of what we should use...
Thank you for any help anyone can give us :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Lowes with description of flooring

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on the floor seam running down center of house

Do you have a manufactured home store in your area? I'd call them. It seems to me that with a floating floor you wouldn't need to fill it in...it might be necessary for the home to shift and expand, rather like the lovely batten strips. That's just my hypothesis, though; I'm no expert. Is there actual air coming through the gap?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here