Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertsteph

Anyone enlarge a window in their mfg home?

desertsteph
14 years ago

I'm getting one in about a month... will be redoing the kitchen next fall/winter. i want to live in it for a few months first to see how it flows for me before making decisions on those changes.

but one thing I know won't change and that is wanting a larger window over the kitchen sink!

has anyone replaced / enlarged a window in their home? any special concerns to be aware of?

the window there now is maybe 3' - 3.5' wide. I'd like it a good foot wider or more. About how much does it cost to change out a window? are we talking hundreds of dollars - or more like 1,000.00 or more? besides the cost of the actual window that is...

I have a kitchen and a bath to redo so i have to plan out and be careful with my money! and I'm sure i'll want a deck and / or porch before too long also...

thx!

Comments (10)

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

We had them switch a larger window in kitchen for a smaller window at the time of manufacture.We took larger window and had them put it in the guest room and the smaller window from guest room in kitchen. We have way more light than we needed in kitchen and we needed the wall space for my china cabinet.

Soooooooooo. If I were you I would let them do this at time of manufacture if you are getting a new one. Cost about 80 dollars to make the change and they will get all the inspections done on it. I have heard if you make structural changes with out engineering it could be a problem for resale later on. If you know you want that window bigger now then just do it.

Chris

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thx Chris! but it's not new... about 10 yrs old. I'm going to redo the kitchen later this yr and am already working on my plans and problems...

after living in it a few months (about 6 by then I hope) I may decide it is big enough and want to use the space for a cabinet...but I usually think the bigger the window the better! the kitchen IS small (about 10x10) with doorways on 2 sides of it - so even a foot more of cabinet space is valuable to me also!

I'll check out that 'changing' of things in it.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

I think we have the standard 30 inch window over the sink. At another house it was a 42 inch window. I guess I am a slob because I have such a hard time keeping splatters off the window. So in my case the smaller the better. LOL But as said before we have lots of light in here with another 30 inch window in the dinning room area and a 46 inch window on other wall same room and it is all open to the living room with 4 46 inch windows. And two glass doors. Oh and a glass door in the laundry room which lets light into the kitchen.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Some kitchen pictures in this album.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    14 years ago

a glass door in the laundry room? wow - you have tons of windows! I do have a skylight - can't see out of it tho!

and a big window and a glass door in the LR/DR next to the kitchen. there are 2 doorways from there into the kitchen. if it weren't for all the light they let into the kitchen, I'd want to board up one of them.

I just want more 'outside' coming inside!

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ronbre - thx so much for all of that info!

it is the window above the sink - but no plumbing should be that high up. I'd just be going wider - it's really as high up as it can go and as low as it can go - the bottom of the sill is even with the top of the countertop back edge(the backsplash edge goes up about 4"). so wider would be about it.

I'll copy out this info and put in my window file...

my dbf did have some of his men work on a mfg homes a few yrs back but I don't know if they changed the size of a window. hopefully they won't think it's impossible...

after watching yrs of those remodel shows and them changing windows out and then reading your info it sounds like it shouldn't be that difficult. some expense, some work, some strength (which I don't have), some saws (dbf has those you listed), a lot of care and some time... but doesn't everything??? lol! dbf will think I'm nuts (he already knows that) and won't think a wider window will be worth the money/work either. won't be the first time we didn't agree on something tho. my place, my money - but I hope he'll loan his strength etc along with a worker or 2 of his.

thx again!

• ronbre
    14 years ago

changing out from a smaller to a larger window is one of the easiest remodeling jobs i've ever done..you picked a fairly easy one..make sure that you have help for the heavy window on the catch it falling out end..and lifting it into the hole end..

i did everything else myself when i did it but had son help me hold it while i put the screws to it..etc.

oh get a level too

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ron - thx so much. I'll be letting the guys do the heavy work. I'll stand around to be sure they do it right...and hold the level for
    them until they need it - lest they think they don't need it - lol!

I could help with some heavier projects before I got sick back in 2001, but no longer can do it. That's frustrating because I was
    used to doing a lot of things for myself that I now have to depend
    on others to do for me or at least have them be the major 'help' in it.

I'll need a level for a number of projects so I'll pick up one at HD. I'm sure dbf probably has one but I need /want one to keep here.
    I remember using one as a kid ... i have no idea what for now - probably thought it was fun to get the bubble in the center.

• kayeal
    14 years ago

We will actually be adding a window where none existed on a solid wall. Not done yet, but my husband said the bracing and framing is what is more important - a header, and whatever else is important when any window is installed. He does not have a concern about it so I don't think it will be a big issue. He has installed windows and doors in homes in the past so he feels confident with this installation.
    Kaye

• eileen123456
    10 years ago

If you are still paying for the home, you had better check with your lender. I had broken windows moving my mfg home. Insurance informed me I could not change sizes until it was paid for with GreenTree.
    I am trying to get help fixing my broken hemlock fir 2x6 floors 1996Cavco in Arizona. Clayton sold it to me.Crooks, both of them!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz