Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
post disappeared

Posted by anthony1959 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 08 at 18:13

I asked 2 questions last week and they disappeared?? Whatsup? Im trying to find the best way to re-do my floors in my doublewide. Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: post disappeared

ok,,i asked if I lay plywood over the existing particle board as explained in another post wont I get alot of bounce and uneven surface from where the particle board had dipped between joist? Do I need to lay a moisture barrier on top of the old particle board before laying the new plywood?? Any help appreciated.

o

What kind of floor are you installing? You can put laminate or hardwood directly on top of vinyl - it makes an excellent moisture barrier. You'll need to put some kind of moisture barrier over the particle board... 30 lb. tarpaper is recommended. The flooring is installed on top of the tarpaper.

I didn't see your original post, so I don't have any suggestions about the sagging portions of the sub-floor. You may want to just replace it.

o

thx

o

I had stated previously to another person, I have installed porcelain tile in my dbl wide and hardwood. In the family room rather than using backerboard, I just used the tarpaper (roofing paper) and then put the thin set on top. It is a moisture barrier and trade-show trick - you can remove the tile later without tearing up the entire subfloor by jack-hammer. You need to nail the backer board/hardy board to the sub floor about every 6-10 inches / then seal the cracks with tape which is made for doing just this type of thing. For installing hardwood, you do not need to put additional flooring on top of the subfloor if you are using adhesive rather than nailing.
Hope this helps also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here