Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indytabbycat

Has anyone survived a tornado in mfd home?

indytabbycat
13 years ago

Hi Fellow Manufactured home owners,

I am new to this site, I am so glad to find a forum where I can ask questions about mfd homes. I have lived in a mfd home for 6 years now, a double wide on a perminant foundation that is strapped.

Anyway, whenever there is a tornado warning the weather people always say that it is best to abandon a mfd home during severe weather. My question is has anyone actually survived a tornado in their mfd home?

I live in the country with really no where to go find shelter becides our mfd home. I do get nervous in severe weather and hearing some of your stories may make us feel better.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• ken_mce
    12 years ago

You can survive in a trailer, if the tornado misses it. If you want to improve the odds you need a storm shelter. Something dug into the ground like a root cellar is good if you can dig there. If not, a masonry room built above ground is a reasonable compromise. The trailer itself will fall apart in that kind of wind. The straps and the foundation may still be there, the trailer will just explode out from under them.

• sandybeaches50
    12 years ago

I live in rural ARK. In 2009 we had an F5 tornado come through my town that destroyed A LOT!! Almost completely destroyed an entire mobile home park nearby-a few minor injuries no deaths. I had 2 (seperate) neighbors who survived in their mobile homes. Both had some very minor injuries and they were both in bed sleeping, and were trapped where the mobile homes literally blew apart around them. Neither home took a direct hit but were within inches of the actual twister. One of the homes was a double wide that had bricked underpinning, concrete, bricked pillars in front, a concrete pad, attached garage with a shingled roof over the entire home/garage and a gazebo attached to the back. The tornado was so close to this home, it picked the gazebo up and dropped it about a half a mile north on my property. The entire home was destroyed, furniture and all. I helped this lady with clean up, salvage and moving to another location which was not a mobile home! Complete devestation. I do no live in a mobile home and actually watched this from my back porch. I would definitely go to secure shelter in the event of a warning after experienceing this one! Hope this helps. I have pics I can send you if you are interested!

• indytabbycat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, thank you for your posts, I do appreciate your input.

• lizgyrl
    12 years ago

My mom has a section of land that she plans to build a house on. It is out in the middle of nowhere. She had a large metal shipping container for storage out there. She also has a small pull trailer for nights they are out there working. She said if a tornado ever came through while she was out there they were going to hide in the container. Her neighbor had a single wide. Well thankfully she wasn't out there, a huge tornado came directly through. The man in the MH survived and I don't know how. He said he got in the tub and waited. His home took a direct hit, there was absolutely nothing left. The shipping container was found shredded in several pieces about a mile and a half away in some trees. The small pull trailer was moved about an inch and the roof now leaks. I think surviving a tornado in a MH just comes down to being watched over and lucky. Don't risk it.

• carolbarrel
    12 years ago

Does anyone know how to build an adequate storm shelter as a DIY project? Can you do it with concrete block, some rebar and mortar? If the foundation is poured concrete over rebar, set a foot or two into the ground, would that be adequate? Obviously no windows, but what about the roof? What is the most sturdy roofing material for a storm shelter made primarily of concrete block and/or masonry?

• cathyyg
    11 years ago

Has anybody here survived a direct tornado hit on a stick-built house? I've seen houses hit by small tornados up close, and even that southwest corner of the basement they tell you to use only has an area of a couple feet that isn't strewn with debris. Storm shelters are definitely the way to go - now if the pesky home park would just let me build one...

Sponsored