Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenreb74

Modular Home: Anyone own Discovery Custom Home from Palm Harbor?

jenreb74
16 years ago

I am looking into the Buckeye by Discovery Custom Homes, a division of Palm Harbor Homes. If anyone has any information on this modular home or any other of the homes made by Discovery Custom Homes, I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Comment (1)

• nannerbelle
    16 years ago

I fell in love with the Buckeye!! It was the first mod I looked at before building. I did want to do some customization on the floorplan, and was assured at the first meeting it could be done. A month later, I was told they couldn't help me but would be glad to sell me a standard floor plan. Don't believe their customization claims, they basically don't. And do a lot of research, The internet can be one of your best friends here. They shut their site in Matthews NC down shortly after I looked at them, and I heard they were having some financial problems. Not sure if that is in fact true, but I would check it out carefully. They do have nice floor plans and some nice features. The construction seems to be basically good, nice materials and good workmanship on the ones I saw. I ended up after looking at Discovery, Ranell, Champion,more plans than I can remember, and several stick builders building a Cavalear. I love the house, floor plan. It was exactly what I was looking for and I must have reviewed close to 500 plans! This was a 2 year process for me just to decide on a manfacturer. The issues I've had have been pretty small on the grand scale. Service has been slow, I'm still ironing the last two items out from Feb. 2007. But overall, I'm very happy with the house. No matter who you go with, get a professional home inspection at closing, keep good notes and stay on them for service after the sale. The only place I see mods failing in the building arena is on service after the sale and lack of detail in their workmanship. For instance, butt joints should not be used on 3 inch crown mouldings. But it can be worked around and this house is a very good value and structurally sound. Like I said, overall I'm very happy with it.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional