Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing kitchen light in ceiling and installing ceiling fans?

Posted by Sheri_C (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 16:32

Is it possible to replace a large recessed fluorescent light in the kitchen ceiling with some type of pendant light fixture in a mobile home? I would love to get rid of this dated light but I'm not sure if a mobile home ceiling would support the light fixture or if rewiring would be a problem. I would also like to hang ceiling fans in some of the rooms but I assume this would not be possible. (The master bedroom and living room both have ceiling fans, but they were original to the MH.) Someone told me that any other areas that were not originally designed for a ceiling fan would not be able to support one.

By the way, it's a doublewide, manufactured in 1997.

Any help and before/after pictures would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing kitchen light in ceiling and installing ceiling fan

Have an electrician take down the old light and take a look at the connection. You might need a stronger box, or not. That is a simple fix. Our small LR fan came with the DW but we did have a larger fan/lights installed last year. I think he may have replaced the box.

As an aside, Don't put a fan anywhere near the kitchen stove if it is gas. Could blow the flame out, even on low fan setting. I couldn't use my fan in our last house when I needed it most - hot humid days :-(.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here