Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roadweaver_gw

Can you put doors in a Manufactured Home

roadweaver
16 years ago

I have a manufactured home that I had brought for my parents in KY. Looks like I am going to have to live there. I would like to put a french door where the double windows are in the kitchen. Would I be able to have this done? Thanks for your help

Comments (6)

• coolvt
    16 years ago

Anything can be done. A good carpenter should be albe to do it. The thing is, if your jurisdiction is strict and requires a permit, they may not allow it. When the home was built it was probably built to HUD standards. By cutting into the walls you are changing the design and that's not allowed in some places. If the permit it not a problem then just make sure you don't hire some "fly by night" to do the job. Get someone who knows what they are doing. And, get an estimate before you hire them.

• adirondackgardener
    16 years ago

>Get someone who knows what they are doing.

Amen. And make sure they know if there are wires below the window. I watched a carpenter that the landlord had hired cut out a window to install an entrance door to my office. Even after telling him there would certainly be wires there, he gleefully fired up the saws-all, ...and you know the rest of the story.

Wayne

• coolvt
    16 years ago

OldVt....my experience has been that the only people who will certify that you are not "decreasing the standards" are the HUD officials at the factory. If someone is in a strict enforcement area, I can almost guarantee that no local offical, mobile sales organization or anyone else will certify that you are not decreasing the standards by removing any part of any wall. I'm sure a lot of it is nonsense, but everyone wants to cover thieir butt. And that means they won't be willing to go out on a limb. Yes, I have seen people forced to put a wall back to original because they added a window that was 6" taller than the one that came from the factory. Who knows, maybe there are very few strict jurisdictions.

• llazyiest
    15 years ago

Yes. I found a beautiful nearly new french door at my local habitat for humanity garage sale.. a $400+ door I got for $75. I had a contractor remove a window in the office off the kitchen and install the door. I also had him reverse the swing so it swung in to the left. We put on a lever type knob since it's easier to open with plates of food in your hands. Now we can get to the new deck without going all the way to the other end of the house & thru the laundryroom. It was one of the best things we had done.
    There were wires running across at socket height. He called the electrician he usually works with and he popped over and routed them under the house and up the other wall.
    Code here requires a light outside an exterior door so since the wall was open anyway, I had him put one inside and outside. So now we had light over the computer desk too.

• tkhooper
    15 years ago

thankyou so much for your answer to this post. I had the same question. I am not in love with the doors that came with my mobile home and hoped to be able to change them some day. Now I know I can and that's great.

Sponsored