Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold Air

Posted by sandrab_gardener (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 12:15

My home is about 15 years old. 2 winters ago I placed plastic on all of my windows and the cold air rushing in would push the plastic out. Meanwhile, when I placed my hands over the strips that are put on the wall that are about every 3 or 4 feet in a manufactured home, I felt cold air -- like the strips were not sealing the wall. I would not remove the plastic for it was hard to put it up. My question is -- can I remove the strips that are on my walls (every 3 or 4 feet) and apply a caulk/silicone and then reapply the strips? Or can I apply paint and throw away the strips? I need to seal up my home and do not know how to begin. Also, how would I seal around the windows and be able to remove the plastic once and for all? Any input would be appreciated so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold Air

I do not think cold air should be coming through the strip areas. Makes me wonder about the insulation factor.

Many people have removed the strips and filled in between the pieces of sheet rock then primed and painted the walls.

Try doing a search for removing strips on walls in the search box bottom of the front subject page.

They make caulk for around windows. Ask at hardware store what they suggest for your area.

Chris

o
RE: removing wall strips

Try this link to many people discussing the wall strips.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall strip removal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here