Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
factory upgrades worth considering when buying a modular home

Posted by First_Time_Builder (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 11:20

I am thinking of what factory upgrades are worth considering and are less expensive to do it on site when buying a modular home.

1. hardwood floors : only in small places like hallways and foyer but everywhere else not worth ( better and less expensive to do at site )

2. Tiles : floor tiles may be but if you doing wall tiles too then better do at site

3. Stairs : Simple block stairs yes factory built would be good but if any round stairs to built at site is cheaper.

what else you can think of ??

4. upgrade moldings : ???
5. radient heat : ???
6. spray insulation : ???

Lets discuss here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: factory upgrades worth considering when buying a modular home

I think you have pretty well covered everything. Nevertheless I would get a quote from the factory first. I did not understand "spray insulation" as the modules should already be insulated. When I built my modular 90% was done in the factory and the rest done on site. I am satisfied with the factory's quality.....most of my complaints and recalls was for the site work! Imagine this being magnified 10 times if site built! GO MODULAR!!!!

o
RE: factory upgrades worth considering when buying a modular home

Depends what comes as standard features. If you are in a cold climate get the best insulation package you can get. In a hot climate the best ceiling insulation that they order.
If it comes with plastic faucets, spring for metal.
If the fixures don't have shuts off before each one, orderit with them.
If a steel house door isn't standard, try to get it as an option.
If windows are single pane, go for insulated.
The best "bang for the buck" are the things that will save you money in the future or make the home easier to live in and not necessarily the things that look pretty and shiny.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here