Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeke1312

Pack Rats Under My Park Model

zeke1312
11 years ago

We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here in Arizona. Recently I discovered pack rats under the PM. What is the best bait/poison to use? Do ultrasonic devices work? If so which are the best? What should I expect? What long term program should I use?

Thank you

Comments (6)

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

Ultrasonic- waste of money. Get baits at farm supply store. And they must be used all the time. While many love squirrels, they are just as bad and destructive. For good or bad, the bait will get them too-- but not all of them. New ones move in all the time.

• Guy954
    9 years ago

That's why I'm happy we have stray cats in my park.

• frankie46
    9 years ago

i would use rat traps only .i tried poison and they ate that like candy and died in nest under trailer .tie traps so they don't run away on.

• twosonsmama
    9 years ago

Use a poison called Bar Bait. Call the local farm ranch supply stores to be sure they have it. It won't hurt cats or any other animals that may eat the pack rats if they happen to be still alive with the bait in their stomachs. They do not smell either once they have died. You can just put it under the house in chunks, and if it's dry under there it is good for a long time. Not expensive. Please do not use sticky traps as they are horribly inhumane!

• netxtown
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Most probably - if you have rats - you have mice and snakes. Snakes just LOVE a drive-by meal!

Get control of the situation as soon as possible. I bought my place not knowing the rats had an extended stay hotel under there. They LOVE to chew on electrical lines - especially the 240v lines. After the dryer line blew clean in half - I inspected and replaced all of the 240v lines. ALL of them had 2ft and 3ft sections that had bare wire!!!

My vote goes for the standard spring loaded traps. I put out poison once and two days later found one single dead rat in my dogs water bowl. Being I'm not trying to kill my dogs as well - I no longer will use the poisons.

The best deterrent I have found is standard ol' moth balls. I sling a box or two under the house every year. Rats/mice/snakes/squirrels don't like the smell of it. Most of it should go to the perimeter areas as those are entrance points. If it stinks there - they will probably move on.

• Debbie B.
    8 years ago

Hi there, netxtown et al.! Interesting discussion. Thank you, twosonsmama, for alerting people to the fact that sticky traps are inhumane. While we cannot allow rats or other critters to take up residence under, or in, our homes, there is no need to make them suffer a long and painful death. My question is directed to netxtown, or anyone who would like to answer. I like the idea of the mothballs as a deterrent! My question is: my MH has been in its current location for about seven years now. The former owners, one of my best friends, told me they have never had a rat, mouse, cockroach, or any other unwanted pest, other than the occasional small ant problem. So I wonder, would you recommend that I use the mothball deterrent just as a sort of pre-emptive strike? It wouldn't be very expensive, but on the other hand, I don't like to spend money unnecessarily. I'm thinking about this because my home is in a very rural area, literally surrounded by farms. I'm interested in all opinions! :-)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm