Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nc_dancemom

My modular home

nc_dancemom
17 years ago

This forum doesn't talk much about modulars. Here is ours. We bought a model from a dealers lot. We have done most of the finishing work ourselves. It is approx. 2500 sq. ft. with a site built laundry room and garage. Its maker is Carolina Building Systems. We hope to move in about a month!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• jhet
    17 years ago

Gorgeous house good luck. I'm trying build a modular home but its very tough here in NJ to build. May I ask a question? What was the price per square foot? Just curious?

• christopherh
    17 years ago

Why are modulars tough to build in NJ? They aren't considered "mobile" homes so there should be no problems. I have a friend in Denville, NJ whose house was destroyed by fire and it was replaced with a modular with absolutely no problem.

But I do know manufactured homes are a completely different animal. You might say they have been banned in NJ unless they're in a park.

• jhet
    17 years ago

No no nothing to do with the modular home itself its the land and taxes cost that makes it hard. Land is WAY expensive in most of the areas I want to live and taxes on new houses will be high. There are new homes here with taxes of $15,000 to $30,000. For the 1,721 square foot house I want to build the taxes would be around $8,000 give or take a few thousand. So thats why its so hard to build here unless you got big $.

• littleredhen
    17 years ago

Your home is so adorable! I never know how to spell the word for the little windows (dormer?), but I have always loved them. I would always tell people that I love houses with the little "Sticky-out windows" lol :-)

• nc_dancemom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello, Thanks for the kind words. We are in the southern piedmont of North Carolina near Charlotte. Our costs are probably a lot less than in New Jersey. I think the price per square foot averaged about $75 to $80. Like I said before, this was a model off the lot. They needed to sell it to make room for the new models. We have done most of the finish work ourselves. That includes completely finishing all othe upstairs. We have had to put up sheetrock, electrical, plumbing and fixtures, insulation, and flooring. This has been a lot of stressful work, but it will pay off in the end.

• jhet
    17 years ago

Just curious what is the taxes on a new home in North Carolina? It is out of control here in NJ!

• nc_dancemom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Our county tax rate where we live is $.61(per $100). Some of the surrounding counties are more. Our properties appraise for a lot less here than what they would in other states.

• jhet
    17 years ago

well thats a great rate you are lucky. i'd love to move down there.

• bus_driver
    17 years ago

I find that I generally like people from all parts of the Country. Folks come here from other States so pleased by the lower taxes and other things they say they like. Then they start attending the County Commissioners ( Commissars?) meetings and demanding more regulations and more services from the local government. The move is to make regulations and taxes just like the places they left. Some have been told to just go back there.

• marys1000
    16 years ago

I'm curious - before I built my stick built home I looked at a quality modular home outfit and the cost was so close to stick built that I elected to stick build and bypass the 'stigma" you get, yes, even with modulars.

It sounds like you just built the frame if you are having to sheet rock etc. How was this a model and how would costs compare if you had to hire out all the work you are doing? Would it be equivalent to stick built? In other words, you can get a builder to frame out a house and side and do all the interior work yourself too.

My impression of modulars is mostly speed. You get the delivered faster than dealing with a stick built builder.

P.S. is it on a basement or crawl space?

• christopherh
    16 years ago

"...No no nothing to do with the modular home itself its the land and taxes cost that makes it hard. Land is WAY expensive in most of the areas I want to live and taxes on new houses will be high. There are new homes here with taxes of $15,000 to $30,000. For the 1,721 square foot house I want to build the taxes would be around $8,000 give or take a few thousand. So thats why its so hard to build here unless you got big $..."

That's why they don't PRINT enough money for me to move back there! I grew up in northwest Jersey and I now live in the country. But I still go down there a few times a year to visit relatives, and I can't wait to get back home.

• nc_dancemom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have been so busy trying to finish up everything that I haven't checked in on this forum in a while. To answer some of your questions Marys1000, My home is a display model off of the sales lot. We completely tore all of the sheetrock off of the upstairs rooms walls, ripped out the bathroom fixtures and flooring, and carried all of it out ourselves so the rafters could be folded down to move it. When I say we did sheet rock and the electrical ourselves, the upstairs is mainly what I am talking about. The foundation has a crawlspace. The downstairs was completely finished except for where the marriage walls had to be joined and finished. We stick built the laundry room and the garage. My husband is a licensed electrical contractor and also a carpenter. He did about 90% of the unfinished work himself. We paid approximately $94,000 from the sales lot. We have paid probably another $100,000 for the foundation, garage, laundry room, 2 bay shop, upgrades to floors, and finishing the upstairs. The 2 acres Of property we already owned appraised at $50,000. The house and land was appraised at $275,000. No, this was not a faster solution than a stick built house. But because it was a show model It saved us some money in the long run. And by the way, a lot of people can't tell that this is a modular.

• lilamy
    16 years ago

Are you still happy with your Carolina Building Solutions home? We are in the final stages of getting ours set up...should be done and ready to close in a few weeks.

• nc_dancemom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lilamy, Yes we are still happy with our home. We moved in August of 2007. Right now our main concern is our yard and our landscape. This past summer we didn't get hardly any rain. I has rained more in the last few months, so we have mud instead of grass. You home looks great! Did you finish the upstairs yourself? I hope you will be very happy with it.

• jeanine_2008
    16 years ago

We have some land in Cleveland Co.. I have recently retired and we want to check into Modular Homes. Just curious what dealer did you go through notice Carolina Blding solutions. Dancemon would love to see your pictures

• nc_dancemom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jeanine 2008, We bought our home From Crossland Homes outside of Denver, NC. If you go to their website, cbsmods.com, the Cape Cod model on the homepage is our actual house. The rock on the bay window had to be removed and we added a laundry room and a garage. We also added 2 bedrooms, a bath, and a den upstairs. Right now we are trying to work on our yard and landscape. For months , we had no rain and now we have someone lined up to fix our yard and it rains every time he schedules it. If I have time, I will post more pictures in a few days.

• neesie
    16 years ago

lilamy, I did a double-take when I looked at your house! It is so similar to my BIL's modular that he moved into a year and a half ago. Except the right hand side of your photo looks like living space, his is a garage with garage doors on the side and living space above. Full basement with walkout underneath the masterbedroom which is on the lefthand side. Love that porch! They are also building a deck off the kitchen's eat in area in the back. It overlooks a lake. Wonderful home.

• jeanine_2008
    16 years ago

Dancemom we went to Crossland Modular homes in Denver on Thursday. Like what we saw. We really like Vanderbuilt homes but would have to pay extra for them to go to Cleveland CO. We're just looking because we need to sell our house first. We're cleaning out now and what a mess.
    Thanks for telling me about Crosslands and glad you were satisfied.

• sailor86
    15 years ago

Excuse me for sticking out like a sore thumb here but what is a modular home? Is it like a manufactured/stick home hybrid? YOu're not referring to pre-fab are you?

Sponsored