Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem converting KS home to real property

Posted by kwmac (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 16:19

We recently had the sale of our MH in Kansas fall through because the lender refused to sign off to convert the mobile home to real property. The buyer's lender required it to be real property. Short of an F4 tornado, that home isn't going anywhere. As required by law it is on a permanent foundation with steel straps and has been since it was purchased as the lender is well aware. It met all of the state of KS requirements for the elimination of title.

Sales in the area are very depressed and it is tempting to leave the lender holding the home. Do we have any legal recourse? Assuming we can even find another buyer is there any way to prevent the lender from sabotaging another sale?

PS We do have good credit and enough equity to refinance if we can find a lender willing to refinance a MH.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem converting KS home to real property

The question I have is why the lender would not sign off on the conversion. Is the land owned outright, or is there another security interest on the land? I can see where a lender would balk at that.

If I were the MH lender I would only sign off on the conversion if my security interest in the MH was transferred to the land, since in Kansas once the conversion is done the MH becomes "incident" to the land.

If I held the loan on the land I wouldn't sign off on the conversion at all unless the value of the MH plus the land exceeded the amount owed to me plus the amount the MH lender was owed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here