Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunsi_gw

difficult to find homeowners insurance for doublewide

sunsi
13 years ago

We have a doublewide built in 1998 which was insured through Nationwide for approx. 10 years--never made a claim--always paid premiums on time. Last month we were told that Nationwide will no longer be insuring mobile homes. I had our car insurance together with our homeowners to save money so I went looking for the same kind of deal elsewhere--no luck so far.

I think I'll keep this "little" bit of news to myself in real life seeing how people like to say "I told you not to buy a mobile home"..... :(

Anyone else having this problem, any advise from personal experience, or just want to comment/discuss, thank you.

Comments (12)

• wantoretire_did
    13 years ago

sunsi - Google 'mobile home insurance' - lots of sites there. One I recognized is Allstate; another is GEICO. You might also try State Farm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allstate link

• sunsi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wantoretire_did, thank for that information I will check into those. I was getting desperate because every insurance broker we called said, "Sorry, we don't cover mobile homes, anymore". I never imagined our insurance company would stop offering policies for mobile homes.

Again, thanks for your info. :)

• linkay42
    13 years ago

We were done the same by State Farm then Allstate so went with Formost! We live in Mobile Alabama so is difficult because of hurricanes..

• daffodilgirl
    12 years ago

My mom has Formost and we have American Family Home Insurance Co.

• lakesider_2007
    12 years ago

Go to Foremost Insurance, they are the leader in MH Insurance. I was switched by my regular insurance company and they recommended these folks. I have been with them for about 16 years. Damage as a result of a NorEaster brought about 5K in damage....paid it immediately. There are a dozen or so companies out there, but you want to make sure you get a reliable one....who not only takes the premium, but ready to reimburse you at the time of lose. Good luck.

• smokiescrafter
    12 years ago

A lot depends on the state you live in. We lived in Florida and had Foremost, but when we sold the home in 2006, Foremost was pulling out of Florida and the buyer had to find a new insurance company. Many other companies in hurricane and tornado prone areas have pulled out after suffering so many losses. Good Luck in your search.

• brandyray
    11 years ago

Farm Bureau- I've been very happy w/ them.

• dirtgirlz
    11 years ago

I have Foremost. I was referred to them by my insurance comapny, USAA.

• resident_manager
    11 years ago

You will get better results if you search for:
    Manufactured home insurance (today's preferred term)
    Mobile home insurance
    Mobilehome insurance

I do know that these companies offer MH insurance,
    Allstate, Geico, Farmers, Formost, Statefarm, amig, progressive, Standard Casualty, amfam, aarp, mhvillage

Lee
    Resident manager of over 20 years.

• cathyyg
    11 years ago

We have State Farm, and I recently questioned them about what will happen when our home gets older, 10 years old, to be precise. I was told that they will only insure it after it is 10 years old if the home meets very specific requirements, including a new furnace, hot water heater, roof, etc. For those who have had these things done, and can prove it, it may help in getting insurance. For those getting these things done, it would be wise to retain proof the work was done.

• amritakaur
    11 years ago

In Mesa, AZ my 1986 Schult is insured by Standard Guarantee. They're one of the most popular down here, where about 30% of the houses are manufactured homes. They were very good when I had a claim.

Make sure you're insured for full replacement value, not depreciated value.

• cheryl1
    11 years ago

Hi I am a Wisconsin licensed insurance agent. The best mobilehome insurance is Foremost. They will give you all the options you need and replacement cost. Our mobile home is 1990. Trust me I checked all my companies and at work I only write Foremost for clients. I know it is the best. And if you are old enough ask for the AARP discount, it is substancial! Hope that helps

Sponsored