Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcarr1105

modular home

bcarr1105
16 years ago

I'm looking to have a modular home put on my property. I live in New York state. I'm looking for a manufacture that will sell direct to me, not going through a builder/dealer. Any help would be appreciated, thanks before hand.

Comments (3)

• shoeynne
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

we live in new york as well we bought a mod this past fall,as far as i know you cannot buy direct from a mod factory,you have to use a builder/dealer,btw we boought a ritz craft model

• adirondackgardener
    16 years ago

I worked for a New York manufacturer for many years and have dealt with the other NY companies over the years. I don't think I can offer you any positive help. None of the companies I've been involved with will sell modules directly to an individual for a number of reasons including the following:

First it undercuts the builder-dealers who are the front-line sales staff for the manufacturer by bypassing them and selling directly to their customer. Screw them once like that and they will dump the manufacturer in a heart beat. Not worth it for a single sale to someone who likely will never buy another.

Dealing with directly with a retail customer who is not a credible builder creates payment concerns since most lenders will not consider financing a home where there is no responsible general contractor.

Insurance. When the manufacturer shows up to deliver the modules, who is paying for the liability insurance at the jobsite? Proof of Workers Comp? That's your responsibility.

Product knowledge: Are you experienced enough in coordinating the site work, crane & delivery, contracting with a set crew, setting the modules, closing up and making the connections between the modules? The manufacturers expect the builders to have a strong working knowledge of all aspects of the process and the product and will not be there at all to help a home owner learn. They will spare no expense to work with the builder dealers but there is no profit in spending any time educating a non-builder.

Site preparation: The builder is responsible for all site preparation, including foundation design and construction, grading, septic and other site engineering and insuring the site is properly prepared for delivery and setting the modules. You will pay for the modules on delivery and, I assume, the crane company at the scheduled time of the set. Forget to get a permit, have the utility company address a powerline conflict, have your basement supports prepared, properly grade the site or cut enough trees and those modules will sit there, the set crew sits around drinking coffee all day on your dime, as does the crane company, who may just pack up and leave with your check in hand, happily expecting you to call them back and pay again when you're prepared.

Warrantee: The company will only cover the modules as described in the sales agreement. They do not wish to risk getting into endless service calls due to improper or shoddy on-site work by untrained or inexperienced non-builders who are ultimately resonsible for all the work.

There are probably lots of other practical and legal issues that our sales staff could list here, but these are a few reasons why I doubt you will find a reputable manufacturer who will deal with a non-builder.

You may be an experienced builder though, and might find a company willing to sell to you. Otherwise, there are a few drop-and-plop wholesale dealers who will deal with you, but the manufacturer's agreement and responsibility begins and ends with them. You are responsible for fighting with them should anything go wrong.

Good luck.

Wayne

• sshippee
    16 years ago

Not sure in upstate New York you are but if you are in the eastern part of the state I could reccomnd a great dealer. I am in VT and did hundreds of hours of research on the different brand modular homes and their dealers. I can assure you that all modular homes are not the same. There can be a huge swing in quality. The dealer I went through was incredible....customer service was the best I have ever encountered. Their main offices are in western mass but I know they have added an office just outside albany. www.the-homestore.com is their website. I general contracted all of my own house and had this company just deliver the house and its setup. If you have any questions about the process or just any type of question feel free to email me sheldon_shippee@yahoo.com