Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creating a Breakfast Bar and Help with Fireplace

Posted by crbutcher3 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 10:20

Hello. I'm new to the forum and hope that you can help my husband and I. We just bought a 1990 DW on a permanent foundation and want to open up the kitchen to the LR area. Our LR, Dining area and kitchen are in a U pattern.

------------------------------------------
kit dining area :
:
entrance living room :

We currently have in the middle wall (the wall in the center of the DW - if I'm not mistaken, this is a load-bearing wall) a coat closet and a bookcase.

kit dining area :
---------------- :
entrance living room :

We want to take down the middle wall and convert it into a breakfast bar. We plan on putting a post at the end of the breakfast bar for support. What we want to know is, has anyone done this before, and if you have any tips.

--------------------::
--------------------::
break. bar post

We also have a wood-burning fireplace in the corner of the LR that we would like to convert to gas. It has an unsightly paneling above the mantle that goes to the ceiling that we want to either cover or remove.We also want to remove the faux stone surround, and replace with tile. Also, the base needs to be lowered to the floor, because it juts out into the room too far.
Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creating a Breakfast Bar and Help with Fireplace

i would contact the manufacturer of the home and find out if you dare to mess with that center wall..myself..i would never remove a center wall in a double wide..you are asking for trouble..they are engineered in such a way as the walls provide the stability of the home.

i would rethink my plans

o
RE: Creating a Breakfast Bar and Help with Fireplace

i would also rethink the gas fireplace..... we have gas logs in the den, and we thought that it would be great.... instead, it is only expensive. the gas logs use so much gas that we cant enjoy them.. if i had it all to do over i would have NOT installed the gas logs, and would have stayed with the regular fireplace. i know it is messy, and can be a pain, but it would be better than having gas logs and not able to use them.
z

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here