Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brnincalif

Closing this week on foreclosed HUD

brnincalif
14 years ago

I am so glad I came across this site! I am about to close on a foreclosed HUD property. It is a 1990 3bed/2ba with a full basement and a 2 car garage on 3 city lots! I am very excited and have been searching and searching for tips on remodeling getting very discouraged not having a $30,000 budget. I was going to rip out all the wall but now am considering some of the options I have read about on this site. Thanks to all of you that took the plunge before anyone else and shared your experiences!

Comments (5)

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Congratulations. Happy for you. Always fun to put your mark on a place and make it yours. Do Try to live in the space for a little bit to see what changes really need to be made. We have been here a little over a year and even through we started on this house new I am still making some small changes.

This will be a great adventure for you. Pictures are nice. Hint Hint. Sometimes the frustrations of remodeling can get stressful. Take your time. There is a lot that can be done on a budget.

Chris

• brnincalif
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for responding. Can't really live in it till we can get it habitable. Pretty outdated and rundown. Not doing anything major and only doing the living area and Master bedroom to start with. This is my first experience posting pics this way let me know if it worked and I will post the updated ones next.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.fototime.com/users/high_maintenance_gal47@yahoo.com/My%20Pictures

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

You bet the pictures worked. Congratulations!!!

So what are you going to do to the inside? Hard to see what the floor is in the living room. Have you already removed carpet or?

I am just so excited for you. My husband and I flipped houses for years before we finally settled down here. Was so fun to go in and figure all we could do to make them look great for the least amount of money,. Not that we did a bad job of things just not expensive fixes that made them look the best as we could.

Looks like you have the vinyl on the walls and the wonderful strips. Sheese why did they have to do that?? Sheetrock is so much easier to work with but many have been successful painting the vinyl.

Can not tell from the pictures if kitchen cabinets are real wood or the paper.

A lady on another GW board is putting bead board wall paper on her cabinets and it looks fantastic. See if I can link you to it and it is a long thread. Worth the read. We have the regular sheet rock here but I am considering putting the bead board wallpaper in one room. Since you already have the wainscot in the living room it might look good on your cabinets. Looks like you have a lovely dinning room on the other end of your kitchen.

Hope you will come back to keep an update going on your progress. If your house is under 2000SQ foot come join us over at the small house board too for some more ideas if you like.

Your place looks like a nice home. I can see many nice features to work with.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen cabinet make over.

• brnincalif
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes there was carpet. Pulled it all up and doing hardwood laminate. I'm going to try and paint the vinyl above the beadboard a light earthy green. But not sure if I am going to leave the beadboard that color. It will be several shades lighter than the flooring. Going to do white crown and baseboard. Should I paint the beadboard white or try to match it to the flooring? The kitchen cabinets are paper wrapped pressboard don't have much budget left for it at the moment.Planning on moving in soon after living room and master bedroom are painted and flooring is done. The popcorn ceilings were awful to paint but I got that done and they look 100% better! I will definitely add more pictures when the two rooms are done!

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

How Exciting to be making so much progress.

Painting the beadboard is totally up to you. If it looks good to you as it is then leave it. I can not tell from the picture if it is in good shape or not. And if you do like the wood look , which of course is great, you can always make it happier with some minwax wipe on stain of your color choice. Maybe something to match your floor or lighter is good too as it already is. That is easy to apply with a rag and really makes wood that might be dried out look so much better, more alive.

The same lady on the small house board that did the paper bead board on her kitchen cabinets also painted her bath cabinets in black and they were the paper pressboard. They looked wonderful when she finished them. Not that you have to do your cabinets black but painting them really made them look nice.

I think she used a primer first then high gloss paint.

I am so much a green color loving person I think any green is good. I just did one wall in our living room a darker green than I painted in our kitchen. Was going to do the sewing room in green and have had change of heart and going with periwinkle. I loved this color in a room we had at our last house for our guest room and want to recreate the space here.

BUT I also had some splashes of green in the room. And will again since I still have the same furniture.

I am into a total sneeze attack must go now. :^((((

Chris

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living