Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MH ,double car port

Posted by colmesneil (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 27, 06 at 7:50

Hello,
I bought a 1978 Fleetwood about 12' X 76'. I am thinking about having a port/roof with post built over the entire MH with a two car port extension. It is not leaking; but, when I felt the tar covered roof it felt flimsy. It is located around Austin, Texas. Would like to know an approx. cost. Metal roof verses plywood and composition roof. Thanks,
Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MH ,double car port

That would probably depend upon the price of wood and tin in your area.

Most of the people in FL put a roofover on their mobiles and this consists of actually building a roof higher than the mobile and closing it in in the front and sides. They also cover a rear patio and leave the attic area open for storage and such.

Figure on trusses every 2 or 4 foot. You will want an overhang by at least six inches on all sides.

And the height of the roof peak is up to you but that extra space allows for cooling and air flow.

What you save in heating and air conditioning bills will pretty much pay for the roof.

Most people that are DIY'ers find it easier just to do a tin roof.

Trusses are normally formed by angled cuts of 2 x 4 with a triangular piece of plywood nailed at the peak for stability.

Draw out the plans and measure them and then count how many 2x4's you are going to need to accomplish that.

o
RE: MH ,double car port

Thank you brezynosacek.
Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here