Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dalepres

Electrical upgrade in a mobile home

dalepres
13 years ago

I posted this in the electrical thread but I am not getting responses from anyone that understands that mobile homes are built to HUD standards. I guess what I really want to know is if rework has to be to the same HUD standard or must it be to NEC standard? If it has to be to NEC, that would mean my home must be destroyed and is uninhabitable if the main panel ever had to be replaced. So, here's my post from the electrical forum. Hopefully someone familiar with electrical for mobile homes can help:

I have a mobile home with a 100 amp main. In the course of a kitchen remodel, we are considering an electrical wall oven which will require a bigger service.

Whether or not we put in a larger service, we need more circuits so I am planning on a sub-panel for the kitchen.

So, my first question is, if I replace the main panel, does it have to meet NEC or does it have to meet HUD? The existing main breaker is in a closet in the bedroom. (Yes, scary, isn't it?) So can I replace it there with the new? And, more generally, do changes to mobile home wiring have to meet NEC or HUD?

Can I add the new sub-panel, if I don't do the new main, next to the existing main in the bedroom closet?

The existing panel is at the very back of the house. The kitchen is about 50 feet forward. I have considered putting the sub-panel in the kitchen behind a full-height utility cabinet (I would install the cabinet without a back). If the main can be installed in a clothes closet with clothes touching the door and a closet door hiding all of it, then why couldn't I get away with a cabinet door in front of the main panel without the clothes? It would definitely be safer.

Thanks,

Dale

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH