Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackofalltrades_1956

Good or bad brands Manufactured homes

I am near the point of purchasing a manufactured home and have narrowed the choices down to the following brands not necessarily in this order: Silver Crest, Skyline, Karsten, Fleetwood, Clayton, Golden West, Kit Homes. I think Fleetwood is at the bottom of the list as the local plant #17 in Woodland Calif. has been decertified by HUD several times over the last few years (Currently decertified). Any one have experiences with any of these brands?

Comments (120)

• Rick Strickland
    7 years ago

Anyone have any information on 1976 Broadmore model TL, is there any asbestos in the building materials

• pspups
    7 years ago

We bought a new Broadmore in 1972, we ordered bunk beds for our 2 kids, 2 good beds for the other 2 bedrms, had refrigerator, stove and a beautiful glass top dining table w/ 4 chairs. It was a 12' x 65 or 70'. They moved it into Los Arcos Park in Sierra Vista, AZ. (hubby military at Ft. Huachuca), did a wonderful job of setting up, leveling etc. Downside was carpet was pretty cheap, other than that I can't think of anything else.where is the 76 you are looking at? I never thought of asbestos at the time.

• cathyyg
    7 years ago

Rick, there may or may not be asbestos in your 1976 home. It wasn't completely banned in construction until 1978. However, the odds are low, as by 1976 there were less expensive replacements for asbestos. And just having asbestos is not an issue. The asbestos has to be deteriorating, letting tiny particles of it become airborne, to be a health hazard. You might consider having the home inspected by a certified asbestos inspector if you want certainty.

• Sally Schrock
    7 years ago

You should consider Kropf MHs, which were top of the line back in the 50's and 60's and still are one of the best brands to this day.

• Christopher_H
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I did a Bing search for Kropf and found Kropf Industries, and all they make today are park model RVs. They got out of the modular and MH business in the mid 80s.

• Debra Smith
    7 years ago

I recently bought a Clayton manufactured home new 2015. The siding is all hanging loose and the back corner is caved in. I was told this home is breathing and this is the way it is suppose to be. I'm afraid living in FL will only bring moisture , bugs, and mold behind loose siding. The back corner should not be caved in either rite?

• cathyyg
    7 years ago

No part of your home should be "caved in." And the siding should not be loose, either. If your dealer keeps putting you off, contact Clayton corporate. And THIS is an example of what Christopher_H and I mean when we say the dealer is more important than the manufacturer.

I have been hearing conflicting stories about Clayton, that they are teally good and really bad. I can only surmise that with Clayton homes it depends on the manufacturing site. For example, Clayton bought out the manufacturer of my very high quality home, Hart/Forest River. I expect the homes built in their Wakarusa factory to still be of good quality in terms of workmanship compared to a Clayton home built in another factory without that history of quality. Clayton has been buying out smaller companies right and left.

• etmichelleh
    7 years ago

My husband and I are going to buy a KITWEST modular home on a lot we are about to close on. I've been reading the forum over and over. Due to the language barrier, as I'm not an English-native speaker, I sometimes have difficulties imagining what issues people are describing. (We have concrete and steel bar multiple level buildings more in my country.) I'm so worried now. I want to ask the dealer a lot of questions as the dealer is going to be our builder, but I'm afraid my questions will be rude and stupid. For example, how can I know for sure if the foundation they build will be solid enough and won't crack when the house sets in? How can I protect myself if KITWEST can't build our house as scheduled, or worse yet, if KITWEST suddenly claims out of business and can't give us the house?

My husband doesn't like me having too much negative thought. It's just that our home-locating journey has been very eventful. Even our new agent shook her head and said she's sorry for what had happened to us as they don't happen that often. (One seller took the house off the market, another seller lied to us about the open permits and the other seller told us we had a deal verbally but then accepted another cash offer...)

We are going to meet with the dealer/builder in a few days. I'm preparing my questions. Any suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

• cathyyg
    7 years ago

Look up the dealership at the BBB, the Better Business Bureau, and see how it is rated, and if there are complaints about it. Understand that nothing is legally binding unless you get it in writing, preferably in the purchase contract. Beware of their financing, and do not use it if you can get financing from a bank, credit union, or other reputable place.

Your concerns about the foundation and any other part of the construction process are best addressed by making sure that all the inspections required are done by the local building inspectors. The foundation should be inspected before the home is placed on it. The concrete cannot be poured in the rain, and if it is poured in hot weather it must be misted several times a day to keep it from drying too fast and cracking.

Get the home warranty in writing, and be sure it includes the foundation and site preparation work like grading so water runs away from your basement rather than into it. Make sure it includes all the plumbing and electrical and gas line work. Do a final inspection and make sure all electrical outlets, lights, faucets, drains, and heat registers work.

• etmichelleh
    7 years ago

Thank you Cathy for your prompt response and valuable suggestions. I wrote them down in my notebook just now and will confirm with our builder. Re BBB, I guess that's why I'm so worried. They're not a BBB registered company and the reviews online are mixed. In that county we don't see another competitor and we are attracted to the fact (according to them) that they have done this multiple times and they know how to deal with the local building department.

• Gloria Johnson
    7 years ago

Does anyone know anything about Deer Valley "Novus" Double Wide. I am considering purchasing one. Any and all information you can provide will be helpful. What questions to ask, what to look for.

• Kory Russell
    7 years ago

I am currently majoring in Real Estate Development and have created a business plan to develop neighborhood (not manufactured home communities) that would equivalate to that of a nice brick home subdivision standard (paved streets, street lights, community ordinance restrictions etc, I will be developing these subdivisions strictly with double wide or triple wide homes that will be constructed on permanent foundations with permanent additions as well. While I have been fascinated with manufactured home dwellings my whole life growing up in a beautiful doublwide myself, not only have I come to realize how cost effective they can be for development and maintenance, as well I have discovered how customizeable they are at a fraction of the cost of a brick home. My question to anyone knowledgeable on manufactures of Texas or surrounding is I have narrowed down the 3 companies I will be buying wholesale in quantity for my developments: Solitaire Homes, Palm Harbor, and Oak Creek, my research including reviews has shown in Texas these tend to be the better sought after brands along with higher reviews on satisfaction and construction, and I would like any owner or known opinions of these brands and is there any other companies I should consider that are sold in the Texas/ Louisiana area that reputable in high construction and satisfaction reviews, Clayton/ Fleetwood/ Redman homes are not being considered per research. Thank you in advance to any input to my submission here.

• jeremylamesa
    7 years ago

Hello Everyone,

First of all Merry Christmas and happy new year to all!

Im thinking to use half of my land about 2,500' and thinking of investing it in a 2 or 3 bed manifactor home. I live in Lakeside, California near San Diego area and my home "including the land" still under mortgage.

I need your help please answering my few questions so I can decide whether I start purchasing a new manifactor home or forget about it :).

- Can I still use the land in my home to put in a new MH even if its still in mortgage?

- Which dealer/ manifactor you recommend to use? In San Diego area?

As far as I know the zoning allows me to use the land for MH however I was told the permit coast $$$$, this information was given to me by officials. Any idea if there any way to reduce the permit cost?

Thanks for your inputs!

• pete_powell Columbus, O-H!
    7 years ago

Does anyone have any comments on Unibilt Homes? They are out of the Dayton Ohio area. Thinking about the Lakeside model. Thanks!

http://www.unibiltcustomhomes.com/Portals/0/Floorplans/RanchLakeside.pdf

• sooz
    7 years ago

Hi, Jeremy,

Decades ago, I used to be fairly familiar with Lakeside property types.

Permits to build are quite expensive, so I think the officials who told you the permit cost would be "$$$$" are correct. Since you're not building, but putting a MH on your property, that may be a bit different? You'll have to also factor in the cost of having plumbing and utilities set up as well as a water source...and how far you'd have to "run the lines" to connect to the grid... unless you'll be digging a well (another permit is probably needed).

I've never heard of a way to reduce the cost of building permits. They are what they are...

I'm a little confused because you say you want to put a 2 or 3 bedroom manufactured home on the property, but then you say your home "including the land" is still under a mortgage. I noticed you are jeremylamesa -- do you currently have a house on your Lakeside property and you want to replace it? .. or do you intend for this to be a rental property, or will you move to Lakeside and not live in La Mesa? I think when you talk with your lender and the officials in Lakeside, you might have to be a bit more clear for them.

"Can I still use the land in my home to put in a new MH even if its still in mortgage?" It sounds like you have an old MH on your land?? I don't know--will you be borrowing more money? I think you will have to ask about the local building and zoning laws first, and then check with the financial institution that holds your mortgage.

"Which dealer/ manifactor you recommend to use? In San Diego area?" There are a lot of MH Mobile Home parks around Lakeside, Santee and Alpine. Go to the management office and ask about this as they might be able to help answer some of your questions.

I know I don't have any real answers, but hope I've helped in some way.

• PRO
    Mobile Homes USA
    7 years ago

My company deals mobile homes in Florida, and we have found that many of our customers really like the Skyline Brand. I don't want to write a novel in these comments, however, I have put quite a bit of time in creating a guidebook for mobile home buyers that goes over different brands more in depth. If you'd like you can get a free copy at http://www.guide.mobilehomesusa.org

• laurastheme
    7 years ago

We have Skyline and are happy with it. Been in it for 9 years.

• murielb2b
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am looking at a 1974 Broam by Redman, Champion. Looking because it is so affordable compared to renting here. Does anyone have any input on this mobile?

• Donna Horn
    6 years ago

Living in Alabama which is the best Deer Valley or Franklin? We are looking at both and want to know if anyone has had issues with them. We were not impressed with the Clayton models in our area.

• amyjwills
    6 years ago

I live in Oregon and would like to hear from those who have purchase a home here.

• Caren Harkins
    6 years ago

Wow Kory!! I hope that works out! Where would this neighborhood be?

• Harden Boystern
    6 years ago

Bought a used Fleetwood home that was full of surprises!

1) Wiring to outlets was 14g wire, not 12g which is code

2) Nothing in the home is square; interior walls are not perpendicular to the outside NOR the floor

3) Whoever installed the carpet placed staples at 1" intervals around the perimeter. Removing them took literally days.

4) Flooring wasn't level at joints of the plywood sheets ... some were 3/16 of an inch off

5) All CPVC plumbing entering the home from beneath was installed haphazardly at angles. NONE of the runs were perpendicular to the floor

6) Under the vinyl flooring there were places where the adhesive was applied in gobs. Some of it was still not hardened after 15 years!

7) ~20% of the staples holding the sheetrock were not shot into studs

8) Studs were not 2x4 but 2x2.5 inches

9) Plumbing fixtures are of the cheapest plastic variety known to man

10) Paint on the exterior doors literally pealed off

11) Escutcheons were not securely affixed to surround walls creating interior wall leaks

12) Tubs and surrounds are made of extremely thin plastic. Easily punctured.

• cathyyg
    6 years ago

Yep. Made by Fleetwood in California, I bet? They keep losing their HUD certification over not meeting HUD code. The only company I will give a solid DO NOT BUY without considering the dealer.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    6 years ago

Fleetwood had a factory in Georgia I believe. The 2x2 studs are considered acceptable for the interior walls, however HUD code requires 2x4 for all exterior or load bearing walls.

• jdftwrth97
    6 years ago

Looks like there are some upset folks on this forum.

Anyway, my employer is terminating my position and I need to downsize quickly.

I live near Glen Rose, Tx and was considering buying a Modular Home, are there any brands that you folks would recommend?

Look forward to hearing from you.

JD

• mgp1200
    6 years ago

Stay away from champion homes, they are made with the lowest end materials .They more then likely get the materials from china ,that would be the best place for champion to be ,since they make CRAP that is cheap and breaks down within days ,just like the products that are made in china,Champion's work force is made up of 5 year olds that were given a hammer and paper cilps and masking tape .The people in the office will lie to you and will do anything the company tells them to do.

• Old Vermonter
    6 years ago

The one thing to remember with a modular is the final price will be comparable to a site built home. Because they are exactly the same as a site built home. They are not in the manufactured home category.

• Ian Mccutcheon
    5 years ago

Im interested in palm harbor home here in oregon in albany. We are interested in the ciesta triple wide floor plan. What are the good and bad about palm harbor?

• HU-225892236467
    5 years ago

I ordered a Skyline and it was manufactured incorrectly. They were supposed to flip the floor plan and even had a blueprint to go by, and they couldn't manage to get it right. They did not flip the floor plan, so it would not fit properly on the lot in my park. Their solution was to re-make the house but not pay for the necessary storage of my household items, as I was counting on delivery and set up on schedule. They also said I could just refuse the delivery on the house and get a refund of my down payment of $40,000. No one at Skyline cares that they are working for actual people who need a correctly manufactured home delivered on time and according to plan. Be careful. Be very careful if you deal with this shoddy company, which just merged with Champion, a poor quality manufacturer that many dealers refuse to even carry.

• Patricia Kent
    5 years ago

We purchased a 1900 square foot Zeus that was manufactured by Clayton homes in oOxford North Carolina. The workmanship is shoddy and there's so many issues that still haven't been addressed. So I recommend to stay away from anything manufactured by them

• Linda Stockton Mannino
    5 years ago

DO NOT purchase a Champion/Redman built home. Poor quality, shoddy workmanship, leaky doors & windows, kitchen cabinets without shelves, inefficient heating system, questionable electric wiring, squeaky floors, lack or integrity, and no customer service. Have NOTHING good to say...0 rating. Also beware of retailers that stand behind this rip-off of a company. Once they received the cash (paid off singlewide), I was dropped like a hot potato. What was once a dream has turned into a nightmare. BUYER BEWARE

• HU-883560728
    5 years ago

Thanks for the post.

• HU-883560728
    5 years ago

I have been looking at and comparing different companies as well. We live in Mississippi. I had it narrowed to Champion and Deer Valley. I would really like to hear from someone who has had some experience with Deer Valley. Thanks. By the way, I have actually had a really hard time finding sites like this one with real customer reviews that are not managed by the manufactured housing industry.

• Mayra Magallanes
    5 years ago

Anyone in the riverside, ca area bought a manufactured or a modular home? We were considering purchasing land and placing a home there. What was your end cost, experience and what brand would you recommend? Dealer ? So scary to think you buy a home and it can fall apart!

• meeshee1
    5 years ago

We've been eyeballing Karsten made in ABQ, New Mexico. From what I understand they use 2x6 wood in their homes and R16 insulation. Our dealer was fabulous and talked to us for 2 hours, answering lots of questions. It wasn't till the end that we realized we had been talking to the actual owner the whole time. We feel good about the retailer, and are getting closer to choosing a Karsten. Anyone here have experience with their homes? Thanks in advance :)

• HU-17069870
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Stay away from Fleetwood in my opinion they are cheap hollow and no better than a trailer. We thought Kit Homeswould be much better and even visited the manufacturing plant. IMO and experiance use sub materials and won't back up their product. I understand they're no longer in business. Amazing, ,ow what we're stuck . I suggest you visit the manufacturing plant while they're making your specific home and get it in writing that they use good quality products especially in the flooring

• cathyyg
    4 years ago

Ah, you must mean the Fleetwood models built in their California factory. Those should definitely be avoided, as Fleetwood keeps losing their HUD certification for not building homes that meet the HUD standards. Other Fleetwood factories seem to meet HUD standards.

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

I'm putting a manufactured home on my property on a basement foundation. I am leaning towards Kitwest. Like most they have mixed reviews and a lot of complaints sound like issues with installation and not the manufacturer. Does anyone have experience with Kit regarding the product they delivered, not the installation?

• laurastheme
    4 years ago

We live in western Washington. We purchased a Skyline in 2007. We're happy with it. We had upgrades.....More insulation in ceiling , 4/12 pitch roof, Hardiboard siding. One thing we didn't upgrade and wish we had is the kitchen and bathroom cabinets.

• cathyyg
    4 years ago

The structural upgrades were the right place to spend your money. You can replace the bathroom cabinets at a future date. The kitchen is a more expensive upgrade, though. Still, upgraded kitchen cabinets go on the “nice to have” list. You do know you can improve those existing cabinets by installing new soft-close hinges and self-closing drawer glides.

• debmurray13
    3 years ago

I am looking at Palm Harbor and Skyline homes in Oregon. Does anyone have any recent experience with the Dealers in the Albany and Oregon City areas? I'll be having the install done in Springfield

• HU-8880492
    3 years ago

Does anyone out their have any comets about buying a 1999 Oakwood Mobile home? Thinking about purchasing one this month Sept 2020. Are they a good Manufacture?

• cathyyg
    3 years ago

I am not familiar with that manufacturer. That recent a model *should* have decent construction and insulation, but you never know. I’d suggest finding and hiring a home inspector that specializes in manufactured homes. Have the plumbing checked in particular, as I recall there being an issue with a type used widely in that time frame.

Be sure the furnace, A/C, hot water heater, and roof have been replaced since it was new. Get receipts/proof of that. Or be sure the price reflects the need to replace those items. Find out about any owner/contractor performed repairs or alterations. If it is in a park, get a copy of the park rules before committing, and talk with a few random residents about the management. Do they repair the things that are their responsibility, or do they put it off? If it is on land in the country, be sure the well and septic system are inspected (generally health department) and in good shape.

• HU-8880492
    3 years ago

Thank you for your comment any other comments are welcome

• John Hulscher
    3 years ago

I bought a year 2000 Skyline in 2007 and have seriously not had one problem with it. It has Hardiplank siding and still the original paint. Roof is 20 years old and has never leaked.

• HU-839375866
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I purchased a Fleetwood Brittany Park model mobile home in 2001 which is a double wide 2163 square feet, and this home has met all expectations as advistised, I.m finally considering replacing the orginal heat pump system and water heater after 21 years of service, all I need now is for someone to tell me where the dam water heater is located in this home, just preventive maintenance

• HU-52758242
    last year

Does anyone know anything about a 1976 Lamplighter single wide home? I can't find any info on the brand or quality. Do they all have funny vintage lamps over the kitchen sink?

• Michael Swanbom
    last year

My mom bought the Lulamae model because the design and layout are nice. The dealer told us that fit and finish issues present in the show model, and those that may arise during transport would be repaired by the setup crew. The house is now set up: the fit and finish are terrible, large gaps in the trim all around the house. Much of this can be attributed to how un-straight the walls are. I didn't think it was crazy to ask them to mask the poor quality and workmanship by caulking the gaps in the trim. I talked on the phone with "Gerald” and he wanted to talk over the top of me instead of hearing what I had to say. His answer was, essentially, "these are our standards at Buccaneer, live with it." I'm very disappointed in the quality of the house and the customer service provided by Buccaneer. I would definitely not recommend them to a friend. I would advise home shoppers to avoid them.

• HU-848261884
    last year

Anyone have information on Homette Trailers? Mine's a little older, but I think it's called Skyline corporation now.

• PRO
    Pacific Homes
    11 months ago

Discover the energy-efficient custom prefab homes offered by Pacific Homes at www.pacific-homes.com. Their homes are fully customizable to meet your unique needs and preferences. Best of all, they ship globally to provide a quality housing solution wherever you are located.